Saturday, February 12, 2005

Pneumonia

For my first entry into my "evolution of me" blog I thought I would touch on my current state of affairs.

I currently am evolving through getting over a case of pneumonia. Pneumonia is a word that I can't spell so I keep it copied on my clipboard so that when I type it I just have to hit ctrl-v to paste it. That's a secret I haven't told anyone; I can't spell pneumonia.

Pneumonia; well it really, really sucks. Apparently it is the sixth leading cause of death in the US. I don't think that I'm going to die, but it sucks just the same. Pneumonia causes you to be very, very tired; all of the time. It makes you cough, a lot. It hurts when you cough which makes the coughing even worse, your chest hurts and did I mention that your very tired?

Today I went out for breakfast and then to my dd's basketball game. When I returned home I laid down for a nap and slept solid for three and a half hours. It's amazing just how tired that pneumonia makes a person. Not only is it hard to spell; it knocks you on your butt.

I went to the doctor last Wednesday after eight days of a fever and flu-like symptoms. My doctor, a very sweet wonderful person, Dr. Emily, sent me to have a chest x-ray done to rule out pneumonia. Minutes after leaving the radiology department Dr. Meyers called to say that the radiologist indicated that I did indeed have pneumonia in the lower left lobe of my lung. She called in an anti-biotic and my youngest daughter and I were off to Albertsons. I took the first dose thinking that for sure by the next day I would start to feel better. Dr. Meyers also gave me a prescription for vicodin which I was very happy to have. The vicodin actually made me feel not quite so crummy for the first time in days and days. I had really tried to be a trooper, getting through this flu, I was at the end of my rope. I was starting to cry at the drop of a hat and everything was starting to seem just so exasperating, I was starting not to be able to take it much longer. The vicodin did help the situation.

Here we are, three days later and I am feeling better; just tired. I'm still not feeling well, but I think I'm on the upswing. I'm hoping tomorrow I'll feel even better and eventually I will be healthy again. It does make a person feel grateful for their good health, which I usually have, and look forward to having again.

Now if I could just spell pneumonia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home