Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The school year has begun

IMG_1401

and with it begins the season of soccer practice, piano lessons, chess club, scrabble club, and choir.
School board budget meetings, PAC meetings, classroom volunteering, school fundraisers, open houses.
And homework.

DD#1 has no problem with homework; it's assigned, she does it, done.

DD#2 is a different story and it has nothing to do with her alien abduction.
She will find ANY and ALL excuses NOT to do her homework.
That girl spends more time fussing about doing her homework than actually doing it. If she would concentrate one-fourth of her energy into actually sitting down and doing her work, we would have absolutely no problems, but that, unfortunately is not what happens.

As soon as we returned from piano lessons today and before needing to get ready for DD#3's soccer practice, I announced that it was homework time. First she tried to negotiate being able to do her homework while watching re-runs of Full House that she's seen ten times each.
I said emphatically "no" and then it began.

One of her assignments was to draw a picture of her family at the dinner table.
Sounds simple enough, doesn't it?
Well, she came over to me and told me, while conjuring up a huge crying voice, that she couldn't possibly do the assingment because, "HER FAMILY IS DIVORCED," She then ran sobbing up the stairs to her room. She called out to me from upstairs, "Please can we call Mrs. P and tell her that I can't do that part of my homework?" "No," I answered and the sobbing began again.

Deciding that she was off the hook for the family at the dinner table assignment (she's not,) she came over to have me explain her spelling homework.
The entire time I'm trying to explain it to her she was crying into a throw pillow, wiping her runny nose all over it. I calmly asked her to stop but she continued wiping her face into my couch's throw pillow as I read to her.
Finally I took the pilllow and told her to stop it.
The hysteria began again.

That, my blogging friends on the internet, is how my afternoon has been.
I know you all wish you were me right now.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Good lord. Now I feel better about my day.
Sorry she threw the DIVORCED family thing up. I never thought of that when I was growing up. She is a little sassy. I like that.
You hooker ass bitch!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Does anyone know why I have these hyperlinks popping up on Piano lessons and homework?

I didn't do that; or is it just on my mom's computer (where I am?)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:02:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh my that does not sound fun

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:10:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

Oh man, that sounds like a really rough afternoon. Hope your night got better!

As far as the pop-ups, if that computer has been visiting sites about piano lessons and homework, then it's possible there's some spyware type stuff on it or it's pulling from cookies, and the ads you're getting are tailored to previously visited sites. I've had that happen before.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:16:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

DAMN the luck that I missed out having children & going through that stuff... Best of luck Woo.

Shelly

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Tutu: Thanks for stopping by!

Pissy: You're the hooker ass bitch, bitch.

SFG: Want to come here while you're displaced from your home?

Sassy: That's what I figured. The sucky thing is that my mom just paid a LOT of money to some yahoo who supposedly protected her computer from spyware and the like.


Woo: You're welcome to come over ANY afternoon and experience the fun.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 8:58:00 PM  
Blogger Michele in Michigan said...

Oh, fuck! I am Fed-Exing you some Valium and my Acme Rubber Mallet (or my Acme Anvil, your choice).

With my oldest off to college, my SON is the one I gotta watch. He is very "literal" so I need to phrase my questions exactly right.

"How much homework do you have tonight."

None tonite.

"OK, then how much homework SHOULD you do tonight to not leave it all until TOMORROW nite?"

Oh yeah, I have that project due.

Slackers.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Shaun will carry our bags.

I won't let him break your coffee cup this time okay?

*HUG* I know...It will get better. I promise.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds about how my afternoons are around here....

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Shaun and Kristine: I know, I know, I know!!!
You guys can ALL move here and we'll all live together (all eight kids and three dogs and four fish,) and Kristine and I can shop all day while Shaun goes to work and takes care of the kids!!!!

Excellent idea.

Oh, and I'll clean all of the door jams and bleach all of the wood work. Marina and Kara can wash all of the towels and fold the underwear.

DD#2 can shriek at everyone.
Now THAT would be a great "my family at the dinnertable picture!"

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I have a 13 year old boy and a 15 year old boy, can we work out some kind of exchange program? Fake tears wont do much to me, but the eye roll, stomp around, constant picking at each other, over load of testosterone gets realllllly old.

We can just switch off from time to time,the oldest one is tall and can carry heavy stuff, always a bonus.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

But on a lighter note, DD#2 has a FABULOUS purse in that photo.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

MW: That is actually her lunch box, cute isn't it?
Target. Go get yourself one.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

A lunchbox? I can't WAIT to go buy one now.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home