Thursday, January 05, 2006

I guess I'm a charity case

Had a phone conversation with XH that started out, I thought, quite benign and civil and left me in tears, (again.)

Through the course of our conversation I got the very clear picture that he feels that the alimony and child support that he is ordered to pay me is charity to "set me up for success." He's terribly afraid that at the end of the alimony payments I will have done nothing to try to support myself and he will be forced to make some "hard choices." Of course, he didn't elaborate as to what those "hard choices" would be, but in his true nature, there was a threatening undertone that he would never, ever admit to.

It's been a year since my divorce and my priorities have been to try to keep my children's lives as close to what they were prior to our divorce. I want to take care of them, be there for them, take them to school in the morning, pick them up when they are done, take care of them on the many, many days off from school that they have throughout the year, take them to piano lessons, soccer practice, basketball practice, softball practice, chess club, choir, and scrabble club, volunteer in their classrooms, and chaperone field trips (just to name a few...) XH says that doing those things for the children is "nothing special" and lots of parents do those things for their children all of the time.

My daughters have never spent one minute in daycare and I would like to avoid that for as long as I possibly can. Not that I think there is anything wrong with daycare, perse, but you mention the word to my children and they equate it to something similar to a concentration camp.
XH stated that the girls would be much better off if their mother was "self-sufficient" than if they had to be in daycare. He doesn't want me to need to "rely" on him (and his charity,) and that my being employed full time would better serve our children's best interest.

He makes it seem as if our divorce settlement, including my alimony payments, were something that he came up with out of the goodness of his heart. I'm sorry, if I understood the divorce laws correctly, every penny that I receive in alimony and child support is money that I am entitled to under the customary practices of the state of Oregon. Was I the only one sitting there in the lawyers office? I'm pretty sure he was sitting there with me but perhaps he was a figment of my imagination?????

He has such a knack for making me feel like a complete incompetent, incapable, stupid idiot who has my head so far up my ass that I can't see anything in front of me; he's so good at it. I suppose what I need to keep reminding myself is that he didn't value my role as a wife and a mother while we were married, why on earth would he value my role as a mother and primary caretaker/nurturer to our children now that we are divorced?

Before a million people give me crap for my allowing myself to get so upset about all of this, I will tell you that I completely refrained from discussing my point of view on most of the aforementioned items to him. It took everything inside of me to bite, (and I mean BITE,) my lip to stop myself from going ballistic and spouting off my talking points of why he was SO wrong. I calmly said, "I think that it is pointless for us to have this discussion," and he replied, "you're right...we just have different priorities."

Yes, that is true, and we always have;
which is why we're not married anymore.

15 Comments:

Blogger Candy said...

Ok flat out, with no sugar coating here, your x?

He is a prick.

A donkey ass lick.

He is an asshole, leoo leoo leoleole.

Not all parents get to do those things for their kids. Period.

Fuck him in the ear, twice. With no spit lube.


Dont cry when he talks like that to you, laugh at him for being such a sad , pathetic, unhappy little man.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

Aw Shit...Sorry Woo.

You said it all so well in the post. You have to accept that part about his opinion not mattering & you will stop looking for his acceptance. He is here to make you "pay" for the divorce.
Sorry he got to you.

Jessica got several things right in her description as well:)



Shangie

Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

You know what?

What you are doing for your girls is important, it's vital, it's crucial. I am so so so with you on this. So totally and completely with you. The taking them to school, picking them up, all the running around in mum's taxi, all the 'just being there' is so so necessary.

Like you, I don't have a problem whatsoever with day care. None at all. But your daughters have never known that and to be suddenly thrust into that position would be damaging to them. They need the stability and the security and the sameness that they have always had.

I don't know why I said all that because we're clearly of exactly the same mind here.

And you brought right home to me all the fears that I am going to have to face in the future.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, I'm sending you lots of love and support.

xx

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:00:00 AM  
Blogger Chickie said...

What JessicaRabbit said.

What a toad this man is. An unhappy little toad.

And you are lovely. And I wish him gastrointestinal distress today for making you upset!

Friday, January 06, 2006 4:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I can relate to that unsupportive husband/ex. My soon to be ex is the same way and thankfully we never had children. I found out his value on stay at home moms and such awhile ago and made the choice to not have children with him. We are still living together for now but not for long. Hang in there!
You are doing the most important job ever and now guess what he has to pay for it! HA
Your girls deserve you if that is possible not some after school daycare! NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT, but if they dont have to be there why should they!

Dont let him let you feel bad! YOU ROCK RSG so screw him!

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:18:00 AM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

Separating yourself from the opinion of someone you've shared a life, children and so much time with, is hard. So very hard. (I tried this last year, and had NO IDEA how hard it truly is)

You are doing fine, keep working thru it, what his opinion is in your life now, doesn't count for squat.

Big hugs to you....carol

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

So, he wants your girls to not only not have their dad around, but also to not have their mother around, so she can be working her ass off? WTF? They are his kids, too. He can fucking kick in. Ass.

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Keep doing the things that you know are right.

I'm not a parent, so I only have my childhood experience as a reference point and my Mom was always around. As an adult(a term used loosley in my case), I see how much I benefited from that and have even told her as much.

You keep on rockin'. Oh, and I hope his dick falls off.

Friday, January 06, 2006 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

Does he even REALIZE how expensive daycare IS?!?! Your time with your daughters is invaluable. The fact that he could even try to put a monetary value on what you give and do for them is ridiculous.

You are really such an amazing woman, friend and Mom.

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

I can totally relate to your post, I just wrote one almost identical a few days ago. My ex is a complete nightmareas well, so I feel ya sister.
Big hug comin' your way from Alabama :)

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Sounds like you handled it well with your reply. You didn't allow yourself to be drawn into a disagreement.

Sorry he upset you, though, but, hey, you're human.

Also sounds like you're a great mom, too! Congrats!

Hugs!

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

RSG, he's fucking with your mind. IMO, not that you asked for it, but I'll give it anyway, unless its directly related to the girls' health, schooling, or visits with him (or other things that are legalish in your divorce stuff that you're aware of), you need to stop the conversations. They don't go anywhere except him saying stupid ass shit to you, which seems purposely aimed at making you feel like shit. Don't let him do that to you, you're way too fucking amazing to put up with that!

Friday, January 06, 2006 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

You know the truth: it's why you're no longer married.
Hugs,
Lelo, Wink and AdRi too

Friday, January 06, 2006 7:06:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

come see me. I will hug the ick away. or I can come see you and we can wrap his car in plastic wrap!

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger ComputerDiva said...

Your XH is a jackass! So he wants to take you away from his kids by making you work full time. I know from experience that it is a disaster in the making. My father abandoned us when we were little, and made my mom work full time to support us. My therapy bills prove what an awful plan that is.

I agree, I hope his dick falls off. He does not deserve to have one.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home