Thursday, January 19, 2006

Mini-arsonists and door-to-door salesmen

As I've mentioned, I live in the land of tupperware and mini-vans, in a place that is somewhere between Pleasantville and Stepford. Not a LOT goes on here in the very, scary suburbs, so when my children's school practically burns down due to arsonists, it's a big deal.

Okay, well maybe it didn't practically burn down, but it was a big deal just the same, (if you're seven...)

Some kids decided to light toilet paper on fire in the girls bathroom yesterday at DD's school. The fire alarm went off, the school was evacuated and the POLICE came to investigate. They searched children for lighters and matches and patrolled the bathrooms. Very exciting stuff! I'm surprised they didn't do a mandatory lock-down and call us to come get our little juvenile delinquents.

First thing I asked DD#2 (the alien-abducted one,) was "Did YOU do it?" (I'm sure that girl is destined for a life of crime, so I thought I may as well know what I'm dealing with right from the onset.) But alas, it was not one of my little hedons; whew...dodged a bullet this time. Can you imagine what people would have said if it HAD been DD#2?

"Oh, that's the kid who's MOTHER IS A LESBIAN, tsk, tsk, I saw that coming from a mile away!"
"If it wasn't for her MOTHER BEING A LESBIAN, that child would be normal."
"You know, children need traditional family values, or they become arsonists!"

Would have been good material for them anyway. Oh well, maybe next time.

After the daughters came home from their traumatic day at school, we were busily doing the things that we do every afternoon, homework, chores, practicing piano, watching TiVo'd episodes of Dancing with the Stars. We were peacefully enjoying ourselves when someone knocked at the door.

Remember blogging friends, I have very few friends IRL, so practically NO ONE ever knocks on my door which led me to believe only one thing; door-to-door salesperson.
Now granted I have a very tastefully framed sign in my doorway that states:

NO SOLICITING
Unless you are a child under the age of eighteen
doing a school fundraiser,
selling cookies, candy, or collecting cans.
Then by all means, solicit away.
I also have all of the religion that I can handle right now!
I'm nice about it, polite, because I'm a polite kind of girl. Wouldn't you think that people would have the politeness to abide by my wishes? You would think so, but the truth is that they do NOT. Either that, or they can't read, who really knows.
All I know is that weekly I have to tell the Kirby vacuum people that I don't need a vacuum because I have all hardwood floors, then I have to gesture behind me and SHOW them that I have hardwood floors. They don't care. They would still like me to spend six thousand dollars on a vacuum cleaner that I DO NOT NEED!
Yesterday the door-to-door salesman wanted to tell me about the program that he is in to give "inner-city youth without opportunities an opportunity to better themselves through job training, yada, yada, yada." He said he was from North Portland and that he has a two month old baby to support and that is why he is out here trying to better himself to give himself and his family a better life.
All I had to do to help him is buy a magazine subscription at a discounted price which will give him points and a 50% commission on the purchasing price.
Now I SAW that 20/20 Primetime Newsweek Special about the door-to-door magazine subscription racket and what a racket it truly is. I called him on this and he said that he didn't know anything about THAT, but HIS program was a LOCAL program to help local underprivileged people.
Fine, give me the damn magazine list.
I look at the list, pick out National Geographic For Kids, and fill out the damn form. It is only when I look at the payment coupon that I see I am being charged $54.00 for TEN issues of the magazine. Yes, blogging friends, FIFTY-FOUR DOLLARS! I said, "This isn't what it COST, is it?" He said yes it did, but their magazines are discounted and the price reflects the discount plus a $10.00 handling fee.
Huh.
I asked him what it would cost for me to subscribe to this magazine directly through National Geographic and he said that he didn't know, but really, it wasn't about the magazine, it was about investing in HIM.
I don't even know HIM.
I don't even know who HE is.
I told him that I wasn't comfortable spending $54.00 for a magazine subscription, that I have never in my life spent that much money for a magazine subscription and that I was sorry. I also said, that I would rather just give him twenty bucks and skip the magazine, to which he was very offended. He said what he was doing wasn't charity.
No, screwing someone over is called something else all together.
If there is one thing I can't stand is being taken advantage of. I pride myself on being a wise person who is able to look at many angles of things before making a decision. I think I've always done a pretty good job buying houses, cars, financing things, etc. to try to get the very best deal that I could. Hell, I didn't even by Chex cereal at the grocery store yesterday because it wasn't on sale. I certainly wasn't going to spend $54.00 on a magazine that I didn't need without doing my homework.
I told Mr. Door-to-Door salesman that I would look up on the internet the subscription price of the magazine and if I thought it was an okay deal, he could come back.
He said again that it wasn't about the magazine it was about his being able to feed his family to which I said, "Listen, I'm a WAITRESS. How do you think it would be if I served my tables and then gave them an inflated check for their food and explained to them that they were being ripped off because I was feeding my family on that? They wouldn't give a shit and they would never come back."
He left.
I didn't think I would see him again, but I still looked up the magazine subscription on-line.
Guess how much a 10 issue subscription to National Geographic for Kids costs???
Go ahead, guess, I'll wait.
FIFTEEN DOLLARS!
$39.00 less than what he was charging me.
Well that was that, RSG was a smart consumer once again.
I loaded up the little arsonists, I mean children, and took the big one to piano lessons and the little ones to the grocery store for much needed items. We returned and I started cooking dinner while everyone finished homework, etc.

DOORBELL RINGS.
I said, "You've got to be fucking kidding me."
Sure enough, it was inner-city-underprivileged-door-to-door salesman.
I opened the door and said,

"Hey, I looked up the magazine and it only costs $15.00. That's over three times what you were going to charge me, and to be exact $39.00 more. $39.00 is what I just spent at the grocery store to feed MY family for two dinners, breakfasts and lunches. You need to take care of your family, but I also need to take care of mine."

He left. I felt vindicated and we don't have another magazine cluttering up our house.
Now, if an underprivileged-inner-city-door-to-door-magazine salesman turns to a life of crime in North Portland because I didn't buy a magazine from him, I am truly sorry. Truly I am.
Be on the lookout LeLo and AdRi.

25 Comments:

Blogger Kami said...

Makes me think of the guy in Office Space.

I can't believe he came back!!! I like your sign. I do believe I'll make one. I don't mind the kids...

And I thought that lesbianism did indeed cause arsonism. Is that not true? Huh. I bet Pat Robertson would say so.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

And you know that HAB Kristine - if she ever gets around to reading our blogs ever again - will blame this on our girl.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Don't feel cheated RSG, they're probably all blaming the fire on you anyway.

I love the sign too. Mainly because i would consider it a license to unload on their ass when they knocked anyway.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

"...Sorry seems to be the Saddest Word..." So the song lyric goes. I hope your salesman stays our West with the rest of the riff-raff.

Dr. H.O. Potamus - Door to Door, underpriveledge and white, magazine salesman.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

LOL...Damn those salesmen. I love your sign...it is very pretty...sitiing there all framed...I think there is a flower or clasic old house picture or some kind of something on the sign too isn't there.

Tell that guy to bug off. I can't believe how pushy they are...GEEZ!!

S

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I have a simple "NO SOLICITING" sign on my screen door. Unfortunately it doesn't latch and is often left open, thus the sign is not visible... but often I make an attempt to close it- and still they come. Mostly religious people... I'm convinced that soliciting has become an ancient word- arcane, if you will. I'm going to make a new sign that says "I'm NOT BUYING WHAT YOU ARE SELLING" and mail a picture of it to Dubya.

hahahhaha

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

at least he wasn't a Baptist...they roam the streets here in packs sharing the love of Jesus...I just don't answer the door anymore because I'm afraid of what I might do on a bad PMS day...unbelievable the dude came back

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

Ha! I wish I could have seen the look on that guy's face when he came back the 2nd time.

Sorry I've been neglecting you, my lovely lovely internet girlfriend. I, of all people, should know better than to neglect my loved ones. Can you find it in your oh-so-beautiful heart to forgive me?

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:15:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I once fell victim to the scam. I paid for my very over-priced subscription and NEVER saw anyting every again. I called and of course, the phone just rang and rang. Bastards. Inner city, under priviledged bastards.

Good for you for standing up to them.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

You rock! I get those guys all the time and they try to say they're from the local school (THAT's where the freakin' comes from) but they don't say the name of any school in town. So dumb.

I may have to borrow your sign idea.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

This just goes to show once again why I hate people. That guy had some nerve to try to strong arm you into nuying a magazine at such inflated costs. That he came back was frickin fabulous though. If only there was a way to spray paint on the man that he was a con.

Glad your kids aren't arsonists, they must be saving it for a bigger crime that they can blame on you being a Lesbian. I know how damaging parents being true to themselves can be.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger www.kimmy.cc said...

I hate it when that happens!

I have a very sarcastic friend who told me how he handles various religous solicitors.

He let's them go through about five sentences, then yells out, "OH MY GOD! I forgot my candle burning in the middle of my star upstairs!"

That usually shuts them up :)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I fell victim as well.

From now on, I buy nothing but girl scout cookies. In bulk.

Shut up.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:15:00 PM  
Blogger Chickie said...

A good place for cheap magazines is www.mags4less.com. I probably subscribe to 6 or 7 and all of them are from there. Cheap cheap.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

God damn. I hate that shit. But you were awesome!!! Hello, I saw that 20/20 show, too, and I've seen vans drop off kids in the neighborhood to go door to door just like that. I'll listen, but I have a basic line: "I don't make purchases from my door, but you're welcome to leave me some information." There you go. It's my policy. That usually works. For the religious folks I just look at them and say This is a gay household. And then I watch and wait. Usually they look away, say thanks, and leave. Hmm. What? Don't you want to try and save me? BRING IT ON! Hrmph.

I can't believe he came back. You're a nice person, RSG.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

shut up Kami. You know who's fault it is and I didn't even have to say it ;)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Gregg said...

RSG- be careful about the excuses you use for the kirby men. One visited my friends grandmother at her summer cabin in Minnesotta and when she pointed out the lack of carpeting he quickly put on the dog grooming attachment and went after their Westie.

Guess what? When I was 11 I burned down the field in back of our house because I was playing with matches. It almost destroyed the neighborhood. And my mom isn't even a LESBIAN!!

I bought a 2 year subscription to Wired from one of those guys for $35. I think I got a good deal and was still able to put him through college. Or so he said. -gregg

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Mel: Well you know what they say about Vegas...

Kami: Yes, for sure Pat Robertson would say that a child being raised in a lesbian house would certainly become a criminal.
And Kristine does need to tread lightly about our girl...


Syd: yes, I'm sure everyone still blames me. LOL at Unload on them, I didn't know what you meant at first, then I got it...I'm afraid of guns you know.

Hippo: Always nice to see you.

Woos: It doesn't have any art work but it is double matted.

Blu: sounds like a good idea!

Lee: I think the baptists gave up on me a long, long time ago.

Curly: You're such a nice social worker, even if you hate black women.

MW: You little hottie, of course I forgive you, you just can't neglect your pretend girlfriends like that...

Tami: See, I knew I was right to follow my gut, I would have been out $54.00!!!

Lori: He did tell me he graduated from a Portland HS, but he could have been lying, how would I know?

Karin: Oh I am sure that DD#2 will knock off a few liquor stores later in life...that will show me!

Leap of Faith: Thanks for stopping by, I like the candle idea! Usually I just like to have scripture debates with them, they get very uncomfortable.

SFG: You should have told me, DD#2 just finished selling those!

Redheadmama: He had all of his teeth, but I know a lot of them were around. I saw a couple more when I went to piano.

Chickie: thanks, my Curve magazine is almost expired, I'll check it out.

Lelo: I was only thinking of you when I considered buying, I didn't want him to resort to a life of crime and break into your house. Although now you do have a giant watchdog to protect you!

Kristine: We don't say "shut up" in our family...

Gregg: You're nice that you bought the subscription, maybe your guy was from a different underprivledged youth program!

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

I can't believe he had the audacity to come back!

Friday, January 20, 2006 1:34:00 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Well that little fucker.
I would have drop kicked his ass right in the yard.
If he is just trying to make a living then he could probably make just as much selling cars or working at McDonalds.
Fo'real.
Door to door magazine sales??
That is just torture.

Friday, January 20, 2006 6:27:00 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

The little boy next door had a fund raiser with magazine sales and I just about fell out of my seat when I read the prices. WTF?

Any way I have the internet to get updated on all my celebrity smut! I also work in a financial planners office with lots of free magazines...

all I need is another $100 magazine cluttering my house!

Friday, January 20, 2006 7:00:00 AM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

My hubby has fallen for them a couple of times. Few weeks later we start getting Readers Digest, Fitness, YM, and other various magazines that we don't even read. (silly man could have at least gotten some good ones!)
Good for you for turning them down and being so smart!!

Friday, January 20, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Ex-playgroup mommy said...

I live in South NJ and we had that scam in our neighborhood only you never got the magazine....awful.

Friday, January 20, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

Y'know I have to agree with Kami. I was sure that lesbianism leads to arsonism. I sure do love playing with matches myself. Only thing I've burnt so far, though, are my fingers. *rolls eyes*

And door-to-door salesmen... they should be tortured. Paper cuts and lots of rubbing alcohol!

Friday, January 20, 2006 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Of course children of gay people end up turning to a life of depravity and/or crime.. Duh... f'ing suburban morons :) It still amazes me that people actually think that way but there you go... anyway glad it wasn't one of your little munchkins playing with matches. As for the magazine salesman, I have been scammed by that and learned my lesson. Paid and never got the magazine dammit. Pain-in-the-ass salespersons (this includes telemarketers as well) should be tortured with bamboo under their fingernails... and wet willies and wedgies and well, you get the picture.

Monday, January 23, 2006 5:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home