Monday, May 16, 2005

Glamorous Waitressing Weekend

This weekend was my first weekend where I was "officially" on the schedule at my glamorous waitressing job. It was so fucking thrilling I just couldn't believe it.

Actually, I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised at the ease of the transition; the staff has been extremely nice and very welcoming, and I feel pretty comfortable with what I'm doing. It's amazing how all that shit just comes back to you like it does. It will do fine for now until I can figure out what I'm going to "do" with the rest of my life; plus I made lots of money, and I wasn't even that busy.

Knowing people who work in restaurants, and seeing people who go to restaurants gives you a complete perspective on humanity on so many levels.

People who work together in restaurants get caught up into each others lives so much more than in any other work environment I've ever seen. They are like a big disfunctional family. Every person is a little bit fucked up (with the exception of a few, like me, who is so normal,) and has some kind of drama in their life (with the exception of a few, like me, who has NO drama) and is not exactly sure where their going or what it is that they want out of life, (again, with the exception of a few, like me, who knows exactly what I want.) There's always lots of co-worker friendships and relationships and generally "restaurant people" socialize with each other quite a bit.

additionally, people who work in restaurants (in the front of the house,) need to have a kind of personality that is nurturing, professional, quick-thinking, intelligent, charismatic, charming, and doesn't take any shit, all at the same time. That, believe it or not, is hard to come by. Servers and bartenders are care-takers, entertainers, salespeople, and manual fucking workers, tied up in one; and have to do it all with a smile.

People who GO to restaurants is a dynamic of all peoples personality, mixed up and sitting in your section at all different times of the shift.

You have:

Old people who sip Chivas on the rocks and complain that you don't remove their cocktail glass in a timely manner. They tell you this politely in front of everyone else in your section.

Young people, going to the prom, who order Virgin Strawberry daiquiris but smell like Southern Comfort, and leave a $2.00 tip.

Middle-aged couples, who have a silent dinner because HE states that it was his third time eating at your restaurant this week, but forgot when he mentioned this that he didn't have those dinners with HER.

Families with kids who spill crackers all over the fucking floor.

Groups of men who hit on you the whole time that they're there.

And the highest of highest of maintenance people who want to order a tuna-fish sandwich (which isn't remotely on our menu, and has be made by grilling the hell out of a piece of fresh Ahi from Hawaii and mixing it with mayonnaise.)

All of the above types of people were people at my glamorous waitressing job, just this weekend.

All in all; it wasn't that bad, except that it did get in the way of my blogging and seeing the season finale of The L Word, which thank God for TiVo, I'll be able to watch later after my dd's are neatly tucked into bed.

And did I mention I made a lot of money?

8 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

money. sounds vaguely familiar.
damn. i can't wait to have only work and no homework.

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Yes...thank god for TIVO!!

I need to go back to work so I can actually USE my Tivo!

Monday, May 16, 2005 12:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay RSG! I'm glad you made lots of $$ :D And you're right about all those different people and disfunctional restaurant employees - except for you because you're exceptionally normal ;-)

If you waited tables at Denny's, the experience would be more anthropological than in most restaurants, I think. I haven't waited tables in almost 10 years. Don't think I'll ever move that fast again.

Monday, May 16, 2005 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

You are so right about the restaurant thing! I used to work in restaurants..In fact I met my 1st husband at a waitressing job I had in high school and we were all fucked up and dsyfunctional as a motherfucker. God did we have fun though. We had so much fun together. Some of my best times were with those people. Thanks for bringing back the memories and I am so glad you made lots of $$!!
Woo fucking HOO!

Monday, May 16, 2005 1:07:00 PM  
Blogger its just ME said...

I have to really applaud anyone who can successfully work in the restaurant biz!! I do not even start to have the tempermant to deal with all those folks! I would probably be fired within an hour of starting. SO thank you to all the folks who can tolerate all the assholes and not physically injure them! Kudos!!

Monday, May 16, 2005 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

blu, schools almost out!

kristine, did you get some new shows TiVo'd?

little sister,That's what I'm doing, an ANTHRO-FUCKING-POLOGICAL experiment!

Monday, May 16, 2005 2:42:00 PM  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

Funny stuff. I'm glad you're making money - hopefully the trend will continue. (although it IS prom season) I found this blog the other day... it might amuse you! www.waiterrant.blogspot.com

Monday, May 16, 2005 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I also waited tables and it is such a thankless job. You are so right about how inbred the whole industry is. It is like one large fucked up dysfunctional family.

Monday, May 16, 2005 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home