Saturday, June 25, 2005

Mini-Vacation to the Beautiful Oregon Coast

We headed out on Wednesday morning; the girls, my mom and I for a mini-trip to the Oregon coast. Since I was driving through Eugene, a city I've never been to, after living in Oregon since 1992, I thought we should stop. It is, afterall, the home of the University of Oregon and a lot of hippies.

It is also the home to Blu, one of my wonderful blogging friends.

I called Blu to see if she would be able to meet us for lunch. She was free and she directed us to a lovely market place where we had a lovely lunch. Here is a picture of the girls in front of the fountain where we met.

We had a great time with Blu. She is even more lovely in person than she is on her blog or on IM.

The girls really liked her, although they were disapointed that her daughter Nicole was unable to join us. Hopefully next time. Blu lent DD#3 a blue clip for her ever-in-her-eyes bangs. We forgot to return it, (sorry Blu, I'll send you the dollar to replace it...) but DD#3 has worn it every day since and refers to it as the "Blu Clip." Blu, my mom, and I were all wearing black shirts. It was kind of funny. It is a little weird, but in a good way, to meet someone that you already have a "relationship" with on-line. This was my first experience, it was very cool.

After our lovely lunch, we headed out to Florence, Oregon on the coast. It was a BEAUTIFUL day, without a cloud in the sky, although it was a bit windy and chilly.
This was the view from our hotel:
IMG_0479
We went out on the windy cold beach.
IMG_0487
The girls found a star-fish on the beach.
IMG_0492
IMG_0499
At dinner, we all ordered PINK drinks. Mine and mom's were of course the adult version!
IMG_0507
The next day, we headed out to the Dune Buggy rides. My mom had reserved us the adventure ride for five. Our driver's name was Dennis and he got us all loaded up in the Dune Buggy. We had no idea what to expect.
IMG_0526
It was absolutely amazing.
This is the view from where we were, to where we were going to ride on the dunes.
When I imagined Dune Buggy riding, I was thinking we would be riding in ATV's along the coast on the sand. I had NO idea that these types of Dunes existed. It was so fucking cool.
IMG_0530
Miles and miles and miles of sand dunes. It was like what you would see in a desert movie, without the heat!
IMG_0533
Beautiful!
IMG_0537
After our duning trip, we headed North on 101, which runs along the coast. We decided that we would go to Newport and visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium the next day.
Here we are at dinner at Mo's in Newport. They had a cool band playing during our visit there. Two of my girls tried clams for the first time; they liked them!
IMG_0545
We arrived at the aquarium the next day:
IMG_0608
We saw a lot of sea life. We liked the otters and the sea lions the best. DD#3 was obsessed with making sea lion sounds the rest of the day.
IMG_0582
The girls also enjoyed the "touch pool" where they could touch starfish and sea aneonome.
IMG_0576
The aquarium was featuring a sea turtle exhibit which was very fun.
IMG_0574
On the way home, I stopped at this scenic view called Cape Foulweather.
It was lovely, as you can see:
IMG_0610
Our final stop was at a lovely restaurant called the Dundee Bistro where we had a fabulous early dinner and incredible desserts. The waiter took our picture with our chocolate mousse cake and lavender infused creme brulee. Yum!
IMG_0612
It was a LOVELY trip (aside from the news about my Pap,) and was just what I needed right now. I feel a bit better, although still quite numb from the week's events.

I'm glad I could share it with all of you.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! You met Blu and had an awesome time! I'm sooooooooo jealous. I think the closest bloggette to Indy is Pissy...maybe I should consider a roadtrip to Tennessee ;-) That's where my roots are anyway - trailer trash vernacular is my first language (teehee).

Great pix of the trip! The girls, as always, are the cutest! Your mom looks very young, by the way :)

Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Puffer said...

You brought back so many memories for me of the Oregon Coast. I used to visit my aunt there every summer, she took us to Eugene, Cannon Beach and Depot Bay. I love the Oregon Coast. We also went to Nike World and she went throught the gates. We promptly got turned around. Anyhow thanks for the blog it made me go down memory lane.

Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

It looks like a great time Woo.
Thanks for posting the pics. I feel like I was there.

S

Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger ToadyJoe said...

Loved the photos. Been to most of those places, so it was a nice trip down memory lane for me, too. I'm so glad you "got away" for a while, saw some beautiful scenery, communed with The Mutha (nature, not Yo Momma), and feel a little better. May it only improve from here.

Now, I'm off to scope out Blu. :)

Saturday, June 25, 2005 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

*preparing to be scoped out*

*ahem*

Well, thank you for the lovely glowing report RSG. I absolutely adore you, your mom, and those fantastic girls.

You tell DD#3 that she can keep that blu clip and don't worry about the dollar! I try to keep some sort of hair clip or band in the car to keep my hair up on hot days- and the blu clip has been replaced with a blu elastic band. No worries.

I'm glad that the rest of your trip was enjoyable- and I can't wait to get together again, I feel like I found a long lost friend. I'm glad to have you back! It must have been a previous life!

Hugs to all (including Yo Momma- just tell her that toady joe said that, and now she HAS to start blogging. Her story of this trip, along with Blu adopting yet another surrogate mother could be an entertaining first post.)

Saturday, June 25, 2005 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Jas, I trust if you come up this way, you will let me know so that we can meet and lunch as well.

Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Book Bums said...

Wow...I don't think I've ever seen "real" pictures of Orgeon. It looks beautiful!

Thanks for sharing...

Monday, June 27, 2005 5:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home