Monday, June 20, 2005

My Sweet Doggie, May He Rest In Peace

My sweet doggie, Rudder, died on Saturday morning around 2:45 AM.

As I had mentioned before, he wasn't doing well starting on Wednesday when he had four very large seizures. We went to the vet on Wednesday and the vet prescribed some valium to stop the cluster of seizures. He was a bit disoriented on Thursday and then later that night, he had a massive seizure where I was sure that he had died. But he started panting and came out of it.

Earlier in the evening, my former LBCG had called and I had asked her to come over. She was feeling sad as was I. I was so glad that she had because when he had the seizure, she was with me to help me through it.

Then on Friday, I took him back to the vet. The vet gave me some more medication to try to stop the seizures, but said that he had an enlarged heart. She did some blood tests, and we were waiting for the results to arrive on Saturday morning before deciding what to do next. She seemed hopeful that we hadn't exhausted everything we could try to help him.

The next night, I asked my former LBCG if she would come over again, just in case something happened.

And it did.

He had another massive seizure but it seemed like he was going to come out of it again.

I put him in his dog bed so I could clean up (because he had defecated during the seizure.) He seemed okay, but just lying there. My former LBCG was sitting by him and he started to have another seizure. We both sat with him while he was in his dog bed.

His breathing slowed.

I put my ear against his chest, and his heart was beating ever so slow.

And then it stopped.

He died.

I cried and cried. And kissed his head and petted him.

LBCG went downstairs and we got a box to put him in.

We laid him on a pillow and lifted him into the box.

He looked like he was sleeping.

In the morning I took him to the vet and they took care of him.

It was very, very sad.

He was a good dog who loved me a lot. He lived a good, long life of thirteen years and I'm glad that he didn't have to suffer any longer. I know that those last few seizures were very, very hard on his little body.

I know all dogs go to Heaven, and I'm glad he's there now, happy and okay and without seizures and anxiety.

19 Comments:

Blogger pack of 2 said...

He is in a better place now Woo. He can play with Riley & Abby too.
You were a wonderful mom to him & he had the best life.

XXOO,
Shelly

Monday, June 20, 2005 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. Rudder looks like a happy dog that had a long love filled life.

My thoughts are with you!

{{{hugs}}}

Monday, June 20, 2005 3:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's in a place with lots of other doggie butts to sniff and frisbees and bones and treats and he's just so glad he got to live with you before he had to go.

I'm so sorry :*( He's probably hanging out with my Dutch Brother's dog Zeus...Zeus was a big dog, but he always like to take care of the smaller dogs and play gently with them. They're probably rooting around in some heavenly garbage somewhere and no one will say 'bad dog' because there are no bad dogs in dog heaven.

Monday, June 20, 2005 3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I'm so sorry about Rudder. It's so hard to lose a pet. I hope that you and your daughters are getting along okay, or at least the best you can.

Monday, June 20, 2005 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

I'm so sorry about Rudder. I hope the saying below helps you and your girls..

--------------------------------
The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Monday, June 20, 2005 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thank you girls, and I printed out that Rainbow Bridge to read to my girls.

They are doing okay. I think that kids generally do.

I appreciate your support.

Monday, June 20, 2005 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am crying just reading this and I didn't even KNOW your dog! I have a 5 month old puppy and the thought of losing him chokes me up every time and logistically I *should* have a LOT more time with him!

I'm sending good thoughts your way and hope you find some peace very soon.

Monday, June 20, 2005 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

I am so, so sorry. At least no more seizures, which are hard to watch. Not a great weekend for you, eh? Hang in there!

Monday, June 20, 2005 7:15:00 PM  
Blogger TheStolenOlive said...

When I read your post a shed a tear because I know what you are going thru. I lost my baby, Char Cole, in March of 2003.

Hang in there, the pain will lessen but the memories remain.

Monday, June 20, 2005 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

RSG - Your dog was lucky to have someone that loved it so much for so long.

*hug*

Monday, June 20, 2005 9:45:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Nothing that I can say hasn't already been said but I am truly very sorry. My animals are my kids. I am sure you did all you could. Take care.

Monday, June 20, 2005 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie B said...

AWWW! I am so sorry for your loss. I know well the special bond that humans and animals can have. And yes, all dogs do go to heaven!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:08:00 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

What a sad story. I am crying over here. That is just sucky.
I am so sorry about your doggie RSG.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:32:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can deal with anything but pet death or sickness. I am so sorry for your loss. I am thinking of you.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:45:00 AM  
Blogger ToadyJoe said...

I'm so sorry, RSG. ((hugs)) I know it hurts so bad. ((hugs again))

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger its just ME said...

I am SO sorry for your loss! I KNOW how hard it is to lose a pet to illness, it will however get easier with time......
((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger CrackerLilo said...

I'm so sorry for both you and the kids. I hope he's happier now, too. *hugs*

Blessed be!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

I am so sorry for your loss! It's hard losing the mini family members. I'm sure that your doggie-poo is having a fabulous time up in heaven.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Ah, damn. I'm so sorry. It sounds like hard times over there and so sad. Rudder was lucky to have such a great home a family. Peace.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home