Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Judge not, that you shalt not be judged: Matthew 7

churchsteeple
My LBCG and I met at church.
She and the Captain and XH and I and all of our kids attended church together. The Captain was in charge of Sunday school and I volunteered regularly. I really adored all of them; LBCG, The Captain, their girls. We also attended church with our good friends and their kids. It was a great time.

Over time, LBCG's and my relationship shifted into something much different than it was. There were a lot of reasons why this happened and way too many to unveil at this particular moment. Whatever the reasons, and whether they were right or wrong or indifferent; it was what it was and what happened, happened.

Once XH and The Captain were aware of mine and LBCG's relationship; our church relationship was going to change. During our divorce, I told XH that I hoped that he would continue to go to church and take the girls. It was their church home and they shouldn't have more of their life disrupted. He has done that for the past year.

LBCG attended that church since she was an infant. She was baptized in that church; her family attended that church for years and years. It was a great loss to her. Our pastor told LBCG that it would be best for her to take a "hiatus" from attending until everyone's feelings settled down. She (our pastor,) didn't have that conversation with me; but she did tell XH that I was no longer welcome.

And for a year, I have not heard from her.
I received no spiritual counseling or guidance or ministering throughout this past year. I suppose I didn't really deserve it but I did expect a little more from the pastor of the church that I was a member, even if I was a sinner.
I got nothing.
I didn't hear from her when I had my emergency gall bladder surgery.
I didn't hear from her when I moved out of my home.
I didn't hear from her when XH and I got divorced.
I didn't hear from her when I had pneumonia.
Nothing.
Nada.
Zilch.

Until last week.

She e-mailed LBCG and called me. Said she was thinking that it's been a year and would we be interested in coming back to church.
Hello?
Is that weird?
We were pushed out; ostrasized if you will. And now, almost a year later, she's extending an invitation to return.

We were both a little bothered and put off by it. We both had our respective conversations with her basically saying the same thing; she wasn't a help to us at all during the hardest times of our life. I told her that I had to grow and learn about myself and accept certain things. I forgave a lot of people in my life that really surprised me, but I'm okay just being me and being on my own right now.

Today I spoke to XH. I asked him if our pastor has spoken to him about it.
He said that she did and that he told her that if I or LBCG attended the church; he would take the children elsewhere. He was already considering it. Apparently the fact the pastor extended the invitation bothered him enough to begin thinking about a new church home for them.
And because the girls are with him on Sunday's; I have no say about it.

He was sure to tell me that "if he wanted to take them to a church that hated gays and lesbians, he could." He followed that statement by saying he wouldn't do that; but I'm sure it was fun for him to go ahead and put that out there.

It still amazes me how much I let him get to me; how much I fall right into his manipulation and his threats. In that fifteen minute conversation he threatened my alimony, threatened to alter my children's spiritual education, and accused me of not "doing anything with my life." He told me he couldn't stand to be around me, didn't trust me, wasn't comfortable around me, and didn't approve of the choices I made in my life. He said that we weren't a family anymore; and that our children were suffering. He had his family with them and I had my family with them; but we were not and never would be a family together.

I burst into tears after that conversation. I remember the feeling so well; I felt that way too often in my marriage with him; worthless, bad, not good enough, empty, sad.
LBCG asked me why I let it get to me; why do I let him "in?"
I tried to explain that I spent ten years loving him,
trusting him, giving myself over to him.
I trusted that he loved me and cared for me, he took care of me, protected me, was there for me. Didn't he know what he was talking about as far as I was concerned? If says I'm a bad person, or I'm irresponsible, or incompetent, a bad friend, a bad mother, or a bitch, or a cunt, then it must be true; because HE was my husband and loved me and cared for me. So what he says, MUST be true; otherwise he wouldn't say it.

I know things are different now. I hurt him, betrayed him. Broke up his family and now cause him financial hardship.
I know I don't deserve anything from him but probably exactly what he gives me; animosity and hostility.
I just wish he was able to see past some of that and remember that there was a time that he loved me. I wish that we could have some assemblance of a relationship that included being friends, and being kind to eachother. That we could remember the part of our relationship that was good and okay.

I suppose only time will help to heal both of our wounds.
Until then, I have to figure out a way to not fall apart everytime I talk to him about something non-superficial. I have to find a way to not allow him to rip apart my heart and tear me down and I have no fucking idea how to do that.

16 Comments:

Blogger SassyFemme said...

RSG, that situation with your pastor is fucked. What, does she see one year as some magical mark for something? That just makes no sense at all, especially when you list out all of the times in the past year when you could really have needed her. Perhaps her own conscience is bothering her? If it's not, then it should!

You know, RSG, one thing you may need to consider is that you and your ex are no longer the same people as you were when you were married. Along with going your seperate ways, there's also been some hurt and that also changes people. My wish for you is that you're able to be strong enough not to let his (or anyone's) negative comments eat at you. {{{RSG}}}

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 5:36:00 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

(((((((((BIG))))))))).

Weird on the church thing. The hubs, MIL, and I were discussing the church tonight, and the hypocrisy. Gah. Wish I could give you a big hug!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was bad having parents that weren't accepting, as that is the issue that we are having right now... I can't imagine having to deal with XH and fighting about the children!

It SUCKS!!! The girls are almost old enough to start forming their own opinion, and when they are around someone who constantly talks shit, they will realize who is good and who is bad!

{{{Good Luck}}}

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

wow...

the ignorance of some people is absolutely amazing...

i have had my own battles with church and family and xh...i hear you...wish i could just give you a hug and let you know that the day will come when you can be so much stronger when you have to talk to him... *sigh*

wishing you -

peace...

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger the determined dieter said...

RSG, I read your blog every night, and this post really moved me to comment. I know how hard it is to let go of someone you love completely, and to not believe all the bad things they say about you is true, but I think XH is just in a really bad place right now, and it may take quite a while before he can feel forgiving. But that's his issue, and you can't make it yours. As for the church, I wouldn't want to go to a church where my pastor lets me down as soon as things get a little messy. I know it's hard not to go back to a church you went to for so long, but perhaps sometime in the future you'll be able to go back. For now, just find a church where you and LBCG are welcome. I wish you the best.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger meelo said...

k - you are a beautiful, intelligent, kind and honest person. never forget that. you cannot change others' views, no matter how ignorant and spiritually hindering you know them to be. please always remember that you are responsible for YOU. growing love inside yourself and sharing that with others is the most wonderful thing you can do and the greatest legacy you can leave your children. you are loved. by those who know your worth, and it is so great.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:22:00 AM  
Blogger Mz. Pig said...

I know, I don't get it. How can you love someone so much, have children with them and then feel so much hatred and intolerance toward them? Maybe I'm naive.
If my marriage did fail, I can't imagine feeling that way toward my husband, and I hope that he wouldn't either.
Stay strong.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:04:00 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

I wish I had an answer for you. Your XH is angry. He is angry that you are now free to be who you want to be instead of who he wanted you to be. I remember all those mean things you told me that he did to you, I know you remember to. He also remembers, maybe you should remind him. Maybe you should remind him of all the harsh words he said. He seems to be taking no responsibility for this divorce which is pathetic. I don't know why you let him get to you. You are a wonderful kind human being. You are a wonderful mother, daughter, friend. I have said it before..your only responsibilty to him and him to you is to take care of those girls. You do that every single day. Whatever else he thinks about you is only an opinion, not the truth. He can take his opinion and shove it up his ass. He is a mean person and he is getting what he deserves for everything he did to you.
I lv you, hooker ass bitch.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:32:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Sassy: I know that you are right; I guess I forget sometimes that we don't have a salvagable part of our relationship right now. Thanks Sassy.

Adrienne: It is hard to let go, even if you were the one who wanted to let go. It is hard.

Kami: I feel your hug, thanks sweetie.

Lynn: My parents are cool; it's everyone else who isn't! Sorry you're having a tough with parents.
I know you're right about the girls, I just DON'T want them in the middle.

Monkey: That's what I want to. Strength and peace.

Gena: Thanks for commenting, and thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it. You're right about XH. He is in a bad place right now and I guess all I can do is do the best I can and be compassionate to him. And I don't have any desire to return to that church, I'm fine for now and when I'm ready, I'll find a new church. I will pop over to your site...

Camille: Thank you sweetie; you are always so good at making me feel better.

Cheryl: The sad thing is that this is exactly how things were when we were married except that after a few days he would apologize. I will always love him, I hope that he will find a place in his heart to love me someday.

Pissy: Thanks for sticking up for me girl! I really appreciate you and your sweet self, you hooker ass bitch!

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

Here's what I'm wondering: Why is it that the people who are there to "teach" us the ways of Jesus are the ones who fall from His path? I've always been taught that He would never abandon me, so why is it that the pastor found it ok to do so? And I'm not saying that all pastors/priests/whatever are bad. I just find this particular scenario really really sad.

And I agree with Pissy. XH is taking all of his anger out on you. But you, my dear RSG, have obviously taken the higher road. And even though XH is good at making you feel horrible, you still find it within yourself to do what's best for your girls. I hope that if I ever have kids, that I can be just as strong as a mother as you are. You rock. Don't let XH, pastor, or anyone else convince you otherwise.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

MW: Thank you for your kind words. I honestly do the very best that I can. I guess the thing about my former pastor is that she is human and has human judgement and feelings. I guess she did what she felt was best at the time; even though it's not what I would have done. She's not a bad person and I think she realizes that she hurt both LBCG and I by pushing us away. Hopefully the next time she is faced with such a dilemma, she'll choose a different way of handling it.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:46:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I have been lurking lately and felt the need to comment on this.

You are not worthless or any of those other things he calls you. You are a woman who is trying to do what makes herself happy. And, isn't that what life is all about?

He just says that stuff to hurt you and because he knows it bothers you. Once you let him know that it does not bother you, he'll quit. Men are like 2 year olds. You have to ignore bad behavior.

Anyway, in case you need one here's a big internet [HUG]

Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:02:00 PM  
Blogger Girl With An Alibi said...

Sound like your pastor needs a lesson in Christian compassion. And your exhusband belongs right there with her. Some people thrive on manipulation. I agree with a previous comment. Just don't let him see it get to you and he'll starve from the lack of seeing you in pain.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger Flyingbluebeetle said...

I don't mean to stick my nose where I shouldn't but I do have a suggestion. IF you were looking into a church you should check out Our Place. It's VERY "with the times" and totally not judgemental. It's full of young people, people who have made mistakes (and make no excuses for them) and people who understand there is no such thing as a "perfect" christian. You can check out their website too. Just an idea, not trying to pry.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Whyme said...

It truly amazes me the things carried out by those in positions of power within the church, regardless of denomination.

When you needed help, they kicked you out, which is WRONG. How can a church preach forgiveness and love when it does not PRACTICE it?? How do "Christians" who do this look themselves in the mirror in the morning?

I have no use for organized religion, as it seem that people in charge are using it to harm and control, rather than to love, nurture and care for their fellow men and women.

You are better than all this. Fuckwits.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jen Spedowfski-Martin said...

New to your blog but I had to comment on this. Like the others I think the church you attended is hypocritical. How can they say, "Hey our imposed time-out is over. You come back now." When you went through the hardest part of your life they weren't there for you and that sucks and that isn't a true "practice what you preach" church.

And your X...wow....I woulda kicked his ass by now. Don't listen to him. I've been at your blog for about ten minutes now and I can tell you that you are an intelligent, sensitive and wise woman. Don't let his hurt pride affect your self-esteem.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home