Saturday, January 21, 2006

My Nana

IMG_1116
(This picture was taken the last time I saw her in August, 2005. With my brother...)

My Nana is probably dying. She is in CCU in a hospital in Pittsburgh and had to be put on a ventilator because she couldn't breathe. She got sick with pneumonia, got better, and then worse. She also has a strep/staff infection and septicitis (I don't know how to spell that...)

Her heart is not doing well and neither are her kidneys and it seems as though everything is kind of just starting the failing process.

She suffers from emphysema (from smoking and living with a three-pack-a-day smoker.) She quit in 1987 but I don't think you can do that kind of damage for that many years and reverse it by quitting.

This is by no means unexpected. She gets sick every year and needs to be hospitalized. We always know that it is inevitable. It is probably just time, and I accept that, and hope that she is okay with it too.

I just returned from putting my mom on a plane to go out there. They will decide when she gets there what to do next. I really hope my mom will be okay.

My Nan and I have unfinished business; which is making this very difficult.

Last month, my asshole cousin Joe
asshole joe
Told my grandmother that I was gay.
That I was trying to "hide" it from her, and that was why I left my XH.
Completely upset her.
Not because I'm gay, but because she felt that everyone in the family was keeping secrets from her.

Well I NEVER spoke to Asshole Joe about any of it, nor to my other boy cousins, nor to his parents, (my aunt and uncle,) because it's none of their fucking business who I am or am not having sex with. I certainly didn't feel that it was necessary to discuss it with my 83 year old grandmother. I mean, come on, how many of you call up your grandmother and say, "Hey granny, I got me a piece of ass last night?" Please, it's completely inappropriate and not okay.

I decided not to talk to her about it because I didn't want to put energy into a place that didn't substantiate it. I thought it would blow over and if she wanted to talk to me about my sex life, I would probably tell her that I wasn't comfortable discussing it with her.

Well now, it seems that I won't have the chance to let it blow over.
And my grandmothers last memories of me will be that I was keeping secrets from her and lying to her; which was not the case at all.

I am perplexed beyond belief WHY my asshole cousine Joe would even think that it was remotely okay to purposely go out of his way to upset our grandmother by passing on to her fourth hand information. The only reason that he knew what he did was because my uncle (his father) was Hell bent that he was going to fly out here to Portland and talk to XH and I and SAVE our marriage. After being exasperated by his insistence, my mother finally said, "Listen, it's no use, Kathryn is a lesbian." I guess he then felt it was necessary to confide in his evil spawn. Asshole. Huge asshole.

When I was leaving XH, I called my grandmother and explained that I wasn't happy and that I was going to leave XH. She supported my decision and said that it was okay. I told her their were many reasons I was leaving, and that many of them were private. She said she respected that.

Now, that's all changed.
And I'm so not pleased about it.
Pissed.
And sad too.
Mostly sad.

Send her good energy bloggers. Her name is Margery Kathryn.

30 Comments:

Blogger ComputerDiva said...

I am sending good thoughts to your nana, and hope things go well for her.

Joe is a prick! What gives him the right to intrude into your private business?!% His bad karma will come around sooner or later.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

What goes around, comes around. WHY family members feel the need to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong, is beyond me. Sad and I'm sory RSG.

Good thoughts and prayers for your Nana.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

sending good energy to you and to her as well. I doubt that her anger is directed at you, and most likely she is truly understanding of your choice.

xoxo

Saturday, January 21, 2006 4:21:00 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Huge Pissy Hugs to you.
No regrets girl..NONE..Granny would have hearted you no matter WHAT.
Do not have regrets and do not let asshole cousin fuck face idiot make you feel this way.
He is a cock sucker.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 4:26:00 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

My prayer are with you both. Don't be so hard on yourself, he was the asshole, not you. I'm sure she loves you anyway.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

Oh Woo, I'm so sorry to hear about your Nana. Please tell your Mom when you talk to her that I love her and I'm thinking about her. Lots of love and hugs to you too.

Angie

Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I am so sorry about your Nan. I truly believe that before someone passes they have a chance to see the whole truth of the people in their lives. Your Nan will see how much you love her and that you weren't keeping secrets from her or making her the butt of your jokes. I will be sending out the warmest thoughts of her and your family as you guys try to make the best choices.

I am also sure that your cousin has had some sexual experiences he would not want to share with you Nana. Hopefully he will learn to keep his mouth shut.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:21:00 PM  
Blogger lawbrat said...

Sending good thoughts and prayers for both of you.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

{{{{{RSG}}}}} Keeping your Nana in my thoughts and prayers, you too. Hang in there.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 8:57:00 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Well, it appears that everything I was about to say, already has been.

Except, I feel a little guilty that my first thought when I pulled up your site was, "Man, she looks totally hot in that picture."

I have a special relationship w/ my G-mother, so I can imagine how difficult this must be. Sending warm thoughts and prayers your way.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:04:00 PM  
Blogger S said...

I'm sorry about your grandma. I'm sorry you also have asshole family. Some people just can't understand it is not their place to share certain information.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

((HUGS)), sweetie. I guess you're named after her?

Screw him.

She has probably already forgiven you. :)

I will be thinking about you.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

How is it one relative can be so awesome and one can suck sooooo much.

Im sorry lady, be strong. Lots of people love you.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

I know we already talked in length about this but, I hope you are feeling better about Nana..she isn't mad at you. You are right...some things just aren't meant to be shared with ANY PERSON's Nana.
I like that you were named after her...I didn't know that...I thought she was named Nana...:)

Love you,

S

Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

well shit RSG, I'm sorry she's not doing well - I was very close to my grandmother (I'm named after her too) and her failing health was very difficult for me to deal with...over the years though, I've come to realize that grandmothers don't hold stuff against us and understand a whole lot more than we probably realize...good thoughts for you both

Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:16:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Good thoughts going up to Da Burgh for you. Finally a reason to send good vibes up there for a reason other than football.

The only thing I can figure about your cousin is that it clearly was about his issues. You were correct in not addressing it unless your nana felt it necessary. However, if you are going to beat yourself up over it, maybe you can go see Nana and clear things up? Only if it would make you feel better. No other reason really matters.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

Oh RSG, massive massive good energy vibes going to your Nana, and to you too xx

Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Sending good thoughts your way and your nana's way.
Don't feel guilty about any of the decissions you've made. You don't have to defend your life to anyone. Your cousin is the one to blame, not you.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

I'm so sorry to read this. I'll say a prayer for your Nana's health and your peace of mind. I'm sorry people can be such assholes. But your friend in Alabama sends a big hug.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

First, Best wishes for your Grandmother-I hope all turns out well.

Second, I don't have TV so I'm at a location right now watching the Steelers Game. The Pats are out of it so I'm pulling for the Steelers the whole way. But since you live in the NW your in a quandry should it be a Steelers-Seahawks Superbowl.

And Finally, Cousin Joe doesn't look like the type that exactly appreicates diversity in relationship types.

Dr. H.O. Potamus - Sun Worshipper

Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Can I volunteer to go and kick cousin Joe's ass? Please?

What a shit head. I'm so sorry. Grandma understands more than you think she does. She will forgive you for keeping secrets.

I will say a prayer for her. I hope you get your chance to talk to her and straighted everything out.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Somehow you have this woman's DNA and blood in your veins.
Do you honestly think she will leave this world thinking bad things about you?
If you're anything like her, which I'm sure you probably are because you are one strong woman...and you had to have learned that from other strong women in you life...i'm sure she's going to stand behind you in this life and the afterlife.

You're being way to hard on yourself because of judgements made on you by other people, not your nana...don't project the negativity onto her because of other people. You're smarter than that sweetie.

I love you, call me if you need to talk.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

Stillers are in baby! Yay!

Dr. H.O. Potamus

Sunday, January 22, 2006 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I love her middle name :-)

I will send Ms. Margery Kathryn every last bit of good vibrations I can muster.

I agree with Kristine, when she actually leaves this earth, her thoughts will be of WHO you are not what Asshole Cousin Joe told her.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:03:00 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I bet your Nana understands. I'm sure she realizes why it was kept a secret.(thanks asshole Joe!)
Something that might help is writing a letter to her. Even if she never gets it in person, it might help clear your heart and somehow you should believe that she will be able to hear your thoughts.

Hugs to you!

Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Forgot to tell you I posted a picture of the two tone nosed cat for you on my blog.

Monday, January 23, 2006 1:15:00 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Awww RSG sending LOTS of positive energy & happy thoughts to your Nana. I miss my Grammie's so much :( they have been gone a long time. Cousin Joe looks like an asshole. I really hope somehow your Nana understands and doesn't feel you were lying or keeping secrets from her. Maybe your Mom will straighten it out? Anyway BIG HUG from a fellow transplanted Pennsylvanian

Monday, January 23, 2006 5:19:00 AM  
Blogger hemlock said...

why are people such assholes??

i agree with you completely. some things are just not talked about with certain people in your family. it's private and it doesn't matter.

definite good vibes to your grandma.

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Ex-playgroup mommy said...

Your cousin is an ass and probably just told your grandma because he jealous of you and your happiness!

I'm keeping your grandmom and you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. And I'm sure your grandmom knows you weren't intentionally keeping secrets from her.

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I also thought initially, 'what a great picture of you' you look so happy.

Like many before, I'm sure your Nana will understand. Your cousin is a total ass-wipe. I was very close to my aunt and although I know she knew of some of skeletons she still loved me, no matter what.

Sometimes the old, wise ones, know it's hard to talk about things, but still accept and love you for who you are.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home