Sunday, February 12, 2006

The bus ride home

Nana passed away on Friday evening.
It was peaceful and she was okay; there was nothing really else that could be done that would offer her any kind of quality of life.
I'm glad that it was this way instead of the alternative.

I recently wrote about my feelings about death and my very deep faith that we are all here on earth as one aspect of our existence. Having that faith and belief structure allows me to be okay with Nana's transition into the next realm where she joins others who she loved in her life.

Her parents and brothers, her husband, and her grandson, (my cousin, Toma.)
I know they welcomed her home.

When my cousin died suddenly in a freak avalanche accident six years ago (almost exactly...) I dreamt of him.
In my dream he was dressed in a hospital gown type garment and everyone was around him, crying. All of the people that loved him and were grieving were standing around and we were all waiting for something or someone to arrive. Toma was walking around talking to people, he was smiling and laughing. He was confused as to why everyone was so sad. He kept looking at us all, with a puzzled expression, smiling and saying, "Why are you so sad?" He went on to say, "I may be leaving, but when we see eachother again, it will be forever."

A little while later a bus pulled up.
It appeared and Toma boarded it.
It was taking him on his next journey.
To forever, I guess.

Nana had a long life of 83 years.
She had three children, seven grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
She was married to my Pap for over 50 years and he loved and adored her.
She loved musicals, beaches, traveling, sewing, and making stained glass.
She collected china and bells and lots of interesting little knick knacks from her travels all over.
She and my Pap were once on the Guy Lombardo New Years Eve Show.
I remember watching them dance on a black and white television screen. Guy Lombardo died the next year I believe.
Nana loved her "stories," and was very interested in everything that Danny and Cricket and the rest of them did every day.
She loved ice cream, and fell asleep in her chair all of the time.
She always set a beautiful table and everything had to be just-so. (I learned that from her...)
She called me Honeybunch.

When I was a little girl, I would visit my grandparents. I would bring all six of my "kids" (dolls, that I loved and went everywhere with me.) I would sleep in the big antique sleigh bed covered in quilts that my GG (great-grandmother) made. I loved the way her house smelled and looked and felt. Everything was always pretty and nice with a million beautiful things to look at. She had so many books and photo albums and record albums that would entertain me for hours.
She also had cable and I watched MTV for the first time at her house.

They lived in New Jersey near a big lake. My grandfather had a boat named Pargie and we would go out in the boat for a picnic. During the days, Nana would take me to the lake to swim at the beach. I would go down the slide and she would help me with my breaststroke or butterfly. She always wore a swim cap and a bathing suit with a skirt!

They would take me to NYC for plays and movies and dinner. I remember seeing The Christmas Spectacular with the Rockets. I remember those trips into the city, in my grandparents big car seeing the New York City skyline coming into view for the first time; the twin towers and the empire state building. We went to the Bronx zoo and I have a picture holding a snake. We went a lot of places, and they loved me very much.

She was a good Nana to me, and I will miss her very much.
I am so very grateful for the wonderful memories that I have of her and what she taught me through the years of my life. They are lessons that I will pass on to my own grandchildren someday and they will pass on to theirs. She learned and taught the lessons that she needed to learn and teach, and now she has boarded the bus to the next chapter of her existence.

I wish her a lovely journey.

24 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your Nana!

She sounded like a fabulous woman that you made great memories with!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

My condolences, sweetie. I'm glad it was a peaceful passing.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 1:53:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

Have a safe and happy journey Nana. Hugs to you Woo.

Angie

Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

((((HUGS))))

Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:46:00 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I am sorry for your loss, she sounded like one in a million. I thought what you wrote was absolutely beautiful and I think Nana is proud to know that she has touched your life in such a powerful way. Her legacy is what you pass down from her, so I feel her love will live on forever. I will be thinking of you and your family.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

What a fabulous life she led. What an increadible woman. I'm so sorry for your loss.

(((((RSG)))))

Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:53:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I am sorry for your loss. Prayers and good thoughts are with you. Big hugs darlin.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:43:00 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

So sorry about your Nana.
Have a beautiful journey.
What a long life she lived.
HUGS

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

I'm very sorry for your loss RSG.

((gentle hugs))

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ex-playgroup mommy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure she took with her many of the same memories and more. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:42:00 PM  
Blogger Michele in Michigan said...

What a beautiful tribute to your beloved Nana. Glad she lived such a full life, but I'm sorry for your loss all the same. How wonderful to have someone who was so special to you love you so much. You honor her by teaching your girls well.

Hugs,
MinM

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:17:00 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Nana, RSG, but your tribute to her was a beautiful thing and those memories are shared ones that she takes with her on her journey xx

Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Thank you for sharing your memories.

Hugs to you.

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:04:00 AM  
Blogger hemlock said...

Beautiful post RSG. Wishing your Nana a wonderful trip.

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:28:00 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

So sorry to hear about your loss and JD's Rose also. I was thinking of my grandparents yesterday evening, picturing them so clearly it made me teary-eyed. Like many of you have heard me say over & over you never quite get over losing someone you love.. whether they have two legs or four. It is a blessing when you realize all that contributed to your life and are thankful for it.

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Queenmatrai said...

God Bless...

My Nana passed away in my arms a few years ago and the odd part was I had a premunition the night before that she was dying the next day...

But thats another story

Hugs and prayers

-Noojes

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:54:00 AM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

What a very touching post. I'm sorry to hear about your Nana's passing and I know you will miss her in this life...
You have some wonderful memories of her though and I'm glad you shared them. :)

Monday, February 13, 2006 1:03:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's good that you have such lovely memories of her. I'm sorry for your loss.

Monday, February 13, 2006 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Peace to Nana, and to all those who loved her.

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have paid her a wonderful tribute here.

*hugs*
lil sis

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger Leska McCall said...

So beautiful!
I miss my grandmother every day. But those lessons she taught me will love on in myself and my children.
Safe journey, Nana!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger Gregg said...

RSG- sounds like she much your life so much richer and full. what a nice legacy to leave behind. I hope someday, someone will be able to say the same about me.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:18:00 PM  
Blogger the determined dieter said...

So sorry about your grandma, RSG. Grandmas are so special. I lost mine when I was 6, but I will never forget her. She was so cool--even got me out of a punishment by the parents once when I was younger (long story). Anyway, I'm sure your grandma was special too, and I wish you well during this difficult time.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger ToadyJoe said...

What an awesome legacy. Thank you for the lovely Nana memories. She sounds like a marvelous woman.

Blessings to you and your girls.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home