Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Oregon Trail

So all of the fourth graders in the state of Oregon learn Oregon state history during their school year. Last Friday was their mock "Oregon Trail,"

You know, that trail that all of those crazy ass people decided to leave their nice ordinary, safe homes in the East, and take everything that they owned and trek on out into the wilderness to encounter wild animals and steal people's land. That's the one.

So the kids had to build and pack wagons and take a five mile hike through the town that we live. The hike included going up steep hills pushing their wagons, crossing "rivers" (roads,) and trading goods for food at the trading post, (that's what I volunteered for, handing out snacks.)

They also dressed up for their little adventure.

DD#1 is wearing an apron that belonged to my great-grandmother who died twenty-six years ago at the age of 96.

She's so cute.

It was a fun thing to watch, all of the kids with their wagons, and all of the crazy parents with their cameras.

Good stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Do you remember that computer game -- Oregon Trail? We used to play it in intermediate school when we went to the computer lab. I loved that game!

Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:29:00 AM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Oh my god. I had no idea they make their own wagons.
That's frickin' hysterical.

I brake for covered wagons!
(my new bumper sticker)

Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yes, I think that they did re-enact it, my daughter came home with a stomach ache.

Friday, June 17, 2005 8:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home