Friday, October 07, 2005

Sad day . . .

Macy was coughing in the middle of the night and having a hard time breathing.
I called the Emergency Vet and they told me to bring her right in.
I got all the kidlets up and took them over to LBCG's to drive Macy to the EV.
There they assessed her and started her on medicine to relieve the fluid in her lungs and gave her oxygen. They kept her there for two hours and gave her three doses of the medicine but she did not improve.
She was then transferred to our regular vet.
I knew when they brought her out to me that it was the end.
She had this vacant look in her eyes that I'd never seen before.
She could hardly breath and kept coughing up fluid.
When we arrived at my regular vet a few minutes later he came out to tell me that he didn't think that she would get better.
I knew that.
I knew that she was failing and I didn't want her to suffer a minute longer than she needed to.
I called my mom so that she could say goodbye to Macy over the phone.
Macy didn't say anything back.
I think she was just waiting.
It was very fast.
I held her in my arms and talked to her.
And she was gone.
She was a good, good dog and I loved her very, very much.
She had fourteen great years and was loved by a lot of people.
And I'll always love her and remember how great and pretty she was.
She had two nicknames: Woo, and Biggie. Woo, because she was so pretty (woo-woo!) and Biggie because she was so little. She was Biggie Woo.
She did NO tricks and didn't listen. But she was good and nice and sweet. She loved me a lot and really loved my Mom and LBCG.
She hated to go out in the rain. She was prissy that way.
Her favorite thing to do was sleep with me.
And get treats.
And eat canned food.
She got to do all of those things yesterday and I'm glad.
I'm glad that she didn't suffer long and that I did everything that I could for her. I'm sure she appreciates being where she is now.
I hope it's a nice place.

19 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks D. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Friday, October 07, 2005 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

hugs to you...

peace...

Friday, October 07, 2005 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger its just ME said...

oh RSG, I'm so, so sorry! I was in that almost same scenario with my Rotti a year and a half ago. I know it is absolutely heart wrenching to go through. It will take a long time to realize she's actually gone, as I think that is the hardest part....letting go. But with time it'll get easier.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Friday, October 07, 2005 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger TheStolenOlive said...

I'm so sorry. I never even met Macy but I just shed a tear. I know the pain of losing a furry one all too much and it comes back everytime I hear of someone else going thru it.

You, the girls, mom & LBCG are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm sure Macy is playing at Rainbow Bridge waiting for you to join her.

Friday, October 07, 2005 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

sending you hugs......

Friday, October 07, 2005 3:13:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Macy in her physical self. I know she'll still be with you, but I commend you for your diligent and heartfelt concern for her well being.

It is hard to do the right thing and end the suffering- but who else but us Oregonians would understand the impact of the right to die(?!) (I promise to not go all political here...)

My dear friend Jen is taking her himalayan in right now for the same reason... when it's time, it's time.

My heart is with her and with you in this time of emptiness.

xxoo

Friday, October 07, 2005 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger www.kimmy.cc said...

I feel for you ... don't try to replace her too quickly, give yourself some time to grieve.

Hope the girls are all ok.

Friday, October 07, 2005 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

(((RSG)))

I'm so sorry that Macy had to go. It is so hard to make that decision, even when you know that it is the best thing to do.

Friday, October 07, 2005 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

I'm so sorry, RSG. It's so damn hard to lose these little boogers. Big hugs to you and your kids.

Friday, October 07, 2005 7:36:00 PM  
Blogger Michele in Michigan said...

Oh RSG--I am sooo sorry! Such a sad thing when our furry babies to leave us...

Sending all of you big hugs. I'm so sorry :(

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Oh dang Macy. Her time came. Sweet Toonces is there to greet her and show her around the place, and point out all the great places to sleep and be comfy. :)

I'm sorry RSG. Peace to you and your family.

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Di said...

I'm very sorry for your loss.

: (

My sister had to have her cat put down a couple of months ago, and I've had two friends who've lost their best friends -- their dogs -- this year, also. So, at the very least, Macy is in some good company.

: )

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Soothing thoughts to you. I'm so sorry to hear that it happened. It is nice though that she got to have her favorite things.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

So, SO sorry. I can't help but cry as I read this. I didn't know Macy but I do have a Dog (and 5 cats) and the thought of losing any of them just breaks my heart.

I'm just glad to hear that Macy isn't suffering anymore. I hope you don't have to grieve or suffer too long.

How are your girls handling it?

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I don't care what anyone says - losing a pet is one of the hardest things you will go through. I realize they are not human but they love us in such an unconditional way that you take for granted until that love is gone. I am so sorry for your loss and I have been there. I still cry when I think too much about it. Maybe a new dog is the way to go for you. I personally had to take some time. Big hugs to you.

Sunday, October 09, 2005 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Aww..sweetie. I am so sorry! I feel like total shit. I left on Friday to go to Gran Sissys and got back today. I am so sorry about your doggie poo. Big fat ass pissy hugs to you!

Sunday, October 09, 2005 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

{{{{RSG}}}}

Monday, October 10, 2005 4:37:00 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Wow....I'm really so sorry...

(((hugs)))

If I had read this last year, before getting our dog, I would not have understood...but I can totally understand how you must feel now....

I hope you are ok...each day will be a better one...as time passes...

take care...

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:34:00 AM  
Blogger biscuit said...

Just saw your posting and wanted to add my condolences.. I had to part with my girl this past year and it was traumatic.. She had been ill for a while.. and there wasn't anything they could do..
I'm glad that Macy got to do those things she loved before she left us.. My girl watts had chocolate and filet mingon her last days here.. So know that they are probably hanging out.. playing and watching down over us..
good luck with the new pup! looks cute !
peace.. biscuit

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home