Monday, October 03, 2005

Broken dog, Broken kid

Today was filled with books, happiness, irritation, fun, doctors, vets, and lots of money leaving my checking account!

Today was Monday.
The one and only day of the week that I don't have to get up early in the morning and go ANYWHERE. XH has the girls and he takes them to school, and I don't have to be at my Glamorous Waitressing Job until 11:15. It's lovely.

But last night I received a phone call reminding me that I signed up to volunteer at the school's book fair. . . at 7:30 in the morning.
What the fuck was I thinking??? My ONLY day to be lazy and sleep in.
Can you say "stupid bitch?"
So, I was up and off to school early in the morning selling books to small children.

Immediately after my retail sales fun; I was at the bank signing my second mortgage refinance. I was able to refinance my second and pay off all of my debt for 1.5% lower and for five years less. I was so excited. I am hoping that after it funds, I may have enough to buy a little something for the family. Maybe one of those recordable DVD TiVo's? The one I covet.

I spoke to XH. He told me he was concerned about DD#1's knee. She seemed to have injured it last week at PE class and was complaining about it all weekend. I told him I would take her to the doctor to get it checked out.
I also needed to have Macy looked at.
I noticed on Sunday that she seems to have lost a lot of weight lately. All of a sudden. And she is more stumbly than usual.

So in between borrowing 30 thousand dollars and waiting on irritating people; I made doctor appointments, for this afternoon, for the two of them. And after seeing both the pediatrician and the veternarian it was determined that both the dog and the kid . . . are broken.

DD#1 has a condition called Osgood-Schlatter Disease. It's a condition that affects young athletes typically when they are having a growth spurt causing pain and inflammation to the area below the kneecap. I guess if anyone is really interested, they can click on that link and read all about it. She'll be fine. A little ice, ibuprofen, rest, elevation. It could take 6 to 24 months to get better completely and may reappear throughout puberty, but it shouldn't affect her future athletic career. So with my lame daughter in tow; I was off to the vet.

Macy's problem is a little more serious.
She has Cardiac Cachexia with valve failure. Basically she is in Congestive Heart Failure and her tissue is wasting away from lack of oxygen caused by hypertension. The lack of oxygen to the muscles and tissue is what is causing the sudden weight loss. Her heart is quite enlarged and she has very high blood pressure.
Dr. Cute Lesbian Vet took some blood which will come back tomorrow and will determine the course of treatment for little Macy. If it's just her heart then she will take blood pressure medicine which should help; if her kidney and liver are also a problem, then she'll have to be on several medicines and a special diet.
So exam, blood tests, stool samples, urine samples, and x-ray equals $227.00 out of my DVD/TiVo fund.
Oh well, it's only money and I want Macy to have a good quality of life for however long she lives. Poor Macy.

I finished the day dosing myself on several TiVo'd television shows, a kahlua parfait and nachos while snuggling on the couch with my heart-broken doggie dreaming of that fancy TiVo, simpler days, and healthy family members; both the furry and the non-furry ones.

14 Comments:

Blogger Chickie said...

Glad that your kiddo's problem isn't something serious.

I hope everything works out with Macy! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

I'm glad all is well but none of this claptrap is good enough excuse for you not making your football picks!

Dr. H.O. Potamus MD-OB/GYN

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:10:00 AM  
Blogger Michele in Michigan said...

Mmmmmmm.....kahlua parfait....! Do you have a recipe you can share with us? :)

Poor Macy! Sweet little baby. Glad that your daughter will be OK.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:18:00 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

You poor thing. I am glad that lil missy will be ok. And your poor little doggie too!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:21:00 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

Glad the DD is okay. Poor Macy. Why do we love those damn dogs so much? I dropped $248 on mine yesterday.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:25:00 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

So sorry for all that's "broken" right now. I had the same thing your daughter has (I was running track and playing soccer at the same time I was growing and I thought my knees were broken they hurt so bad), but I turned out "ok" (knee-wise, not exactly in every other regard ;-)

I hope the test results come back good for Macy. Poor baby.

Sending you LOTS of good vibes from CA!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

Dear Recovering Straight Girl,

I'm sorry about your dog but as you know one of our years is, so I'm told, equal to 7 dog years. The french have solved this problem of old dogs in misery. Go to the sight below and find out how.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,00.html

Dr. H.O. Potamus (Always here for you)

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Chickie: Thanks so much.

Hippo: I know, I know, I forgot...

Michelle: Just pour some Kahlua on top of vanilla ice cream... it's good stuff.

Pissy: Yeah, the little kid is fine, it's that damn dog I'm worried about.

Kami: You know how I feel; no TiVo for you either!!!

D: I'm sure DD will be fine. Gives the princess something to whine about!! She should grow out of it.

Soozie: She says it hurts quite a bit, but it comes and goes; I hope that she grows out of it quickly.
Thanks for your well wishes.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Hippo: Where the hell do you find shit like that????

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

RSG, glad daughter will be okay. Thinking really good thoughts for Macy. Luckily she's got a human mommy that cares so much about her! I'm sure it's your love for her, and her care because of that, that keeps her going, even though she's "broken".

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

RSG:

sorry to hear about all your troubles this week. I hope daughter and doggie are okay. I don't have either, but I do have an old cat and I dread the day she starts having old cat problems. I'll be hoping for the best for all of you.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

I hope that the day got better and the week is going better.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

hope all are feeling better soon...

peace...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger TheStolenOlive said...

I see that I'm rather late but I'm glad to see that Macy's prognosis is looking better. Those furry ones have a way of wrapping around our hearts don't they?

Tell DD#1 that I had Osgood Schlatter's too. It will re-occur until she reaches her full height but at least she knows know what it is and how to take care of it.

Aleve (Anaprox/Naproxen) always worked the best for me. And my knee pads from Volleyball became my best friends... I even wore them under my softball pants.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home