Wednesday, June 29, 2005

No Steel For Me

I will be receiving no Steel today.

No cards will come in the mail.

No romantic dinner or party with friends.

No trip away to the beach

or anywhere else.

Just the memories of the anniversaries before.

The good ones and the bad ones.
The fun ones and the sad ones.
The first one and the last one;
they were the best.

I remember the day that we married.
I remember the day that we divorced.

Both days were filled with apprehension and uncertainty.
Both days are behind me now. Behind us.

It's weird to measure a time in your life with a beginning and an end. Usually people aren't able to do that; it's more fluid and constant, always changing and evolving and flowing through time.

I always knew that there would be a beginning, a middle, and an end to our life together.

That day in Lake Tahoe, when I said those words, I knew.
I knew that was the beginning.

Six years ago; it was the middle.
We celebrated five years of marriage, and we were at a crossroads. I wanted to embrace it, to grow to make it better; but he wanted to ignore it.
He wrote me a poem; it said it all; I knew we were at the middle.

Last year, in my living room, when I said those words, I knew.
I knew we were at the end.
It was a sense, a knowing, another crossroad; but this time it couldn't be ignored.
It was time.

Forever this day will be marked in my mind as a day to remember.
Not be sad, not be glad, just remember.

This year will probably be the hardest.
It's been the hardest year.
Tomorrow is the first day of the next year.
It will be easier.
I believe that.

10 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

I hope you have a great next year and that everything that is currently stressful, in limbo and just all out crappy gets a million times better!

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

I believe that too Woo.

Looking back, I think I felt some of those same things in Tahoe.

It sounds like you have put this in a very good place in your heart.

It is amazing to watch how gracefully you have handled all of this. It is to be admired & I am so proud of you!

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Puffer said...

It sounds like through all the bad stuff
you have gotten stronger
you go girl
cd

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger s said...

Well-I am not sure how I stumbled onto your blog. But I have spent the last hour reading. Your blog is great, you sound great, and I have oodles of admiration for you.

I had some surgery so I am reading to pass the time and distract myself. You know in a hospital they never leave you alone!!!

I think your blog today took me down memory lane. I was married once-5 years no children. There were days after my divorce when I thought OMG what have I done. I had days when I thought his family would murder me (high drama). Life after AH (ass-hole) has been very good to me. I have the greatest partner in the world.

I can tell you are a good person with a big heart. I hope your next year is utter bliss....no bumps in the road....The very best to you.

Sorry if this is a mess...I am kinda in a fog.....

Sarah

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger meelo said...

rsg, i love you. i love your honesty. it touches me over and over again, like a beautiful song.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:33:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great poem. Love the way you use words to tell about 'those words'. A thoughtful piece. Thanks.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Valerie, Shelly, Christine: thanks girls.

Sarah: Good luck with your surgery, thanks for stopping by.

Who Am I?: I hope I got you thinking in a good way, not a "I should run out and become a lesbian and get divorce," way.

Lealea: thank you, I believe you're right.

Camille: I love you TOO!

Amy: It wasn't meant to be a poem, I don't think I know HOW to write a poem, but thanks. Did it sound like a poem? That's okay if it did, I just didn't know I had it in me!

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:40:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

RSG, it really does get easier over time. I can remember being in your spot about 12 years ago. As time has gone by I often don't realize it was an ex-anniversary date until days later, usually only if I'm writing a check or something.

All because you've moved on in your life to be who you need to be, and are, doesn't mean that the previous times in your life should be forgotten, or put behind the closet door. It was a valid part of your life.

Everything gets easier as you grow more into "you".

[hugs]

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger s said...

Happy New Year. I hope you woke up this AM....and thought YES....this is it....my New Year....may all
good things come your way!

L'Chaim (to life)
Sarah

Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Sassy, Lish: Thank you girls!

Sarah: I thought exactly that!

D: It's actually only been 11 month since we seperated, 7 months since the divorce. Yesterday would have been my eleventh wedding anniversary.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home