Friday, August 26, 2005

It's Day Five of the Trip

Still at the Comfort Inn in Junction City, Kansas; waiting for my brother to get ready to go. He takes amazingly long showers. I'm not sure what he does it there. Condition his hair? Shave his legs? That's what takes me so long. Anyway.

We will be traveling through Kansas today. Remember how I said that there wasn't a lot going on in that part of Illinois that we went through? Well, there is REALLY not a lot going on through Kansas. No offense to anyone who lives in Kansas, but it's really out here in the middle (literally the middle,) of no where. I'm not sure I quite get it.

But Kansas it is. Last night there was an amazing storm. Really, like on that movie, Twister. There was lightening and thunder and HAIL. Yes, hail in the middle of August when it's like 90 degrees outside. I've never seen anything like it; but now I have, because I'm in Kansas. I was kind of hoping that we'd get to see a tornado, but I suppose the day is still young!

Last night we went to dinner at a local restaurant. Being that I don't eat read meat, I was quite limited on my cuisine choices, but it was fine. I've never seen Ceasar salad made with Iceberg lettuce, but I guess that's how they do it here is Kansas. I did have a good local beer, brewed in Kansas City. It was like a Widmer Hef, but a little lighter; quite nice. After dinner we went to the liquor store and bought a six pack. My bro bought it and handed the lady his PA license for ID. She looked at it and said, "Oh my god, I'm from Clarks Summitt, PA!" It just so happens that Nancy from the liquor store went to Abington Heights High School which is the same high school that my old friend Joey Lewis went. Now Nancy is a bit older than Joey but she does remember Beth Lewis, Joey's older sister. Right here is Junction City, Kansas was Nancy from Clarks Summitt who knows Beth Lewis, amazing. I took Nancy's picture; I'll post when I get a USB cable!

I also had the pleasure of meeting a very nice man named Jim. Jim is in the army and has been for 23 years. He's about to retire and is in the area to take a seminar from the army base nearby about how to write his resume and prepare for civilian life. He's been at the Comfort Inn for several days and drives a red pearl Harley. Jim has 14 tatoos and a cat named Oreo. He is from Virginia but has been living in North Dakota for awhile. Nice guy. Fun to talk to. I got to go off on all of my political thoughts and he agreed with me; I love that. I also met Cooper. Cooper goes to school nearby but he is from New York, Brooklyn New York. I'm not quite sure how one goes from Brooklyn to Junction City, Kansas, but I have my suspicions. I'm pretty sure that he witnessed a crime and is in the witness protection program. At first I thought maybe he committed a crime and ran to Kansas because no one would look for a young black man in Kansas, but after I talked to him awhile, I decided that he was too nice to have killed people and he must be in the witness protection program instead. So Cooper and Jim and Nancy; they're my new friends. From Kansas.

It's a long, long drive across Kansas. We'll be arriving in Denver sometime today and then visit our cousin who lives in Boulder. I don't know if I'll have internet tonight or not, but I will certainly try if I can.

I will write on the road, but I haven't figured out how to transfer what I write in Word onto the blogger post w/o making all of those weird characters. I tried removing the format, but that didn't work either. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to re-write my posts, that would be dumb. I'll let you know of all I see today, which I suspect will be a whole lot of nothing, but perhaps I'll be surprised and I will see a tornado. We can only hope.

Everyone have a great one!
Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger SassyFemme said...

What a great expereience to meet all those people! Those kinds of things never happen to Fran and me when we travel. Glad you're having fun!

Saturday, August 27, 2005 6:22:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks everyone, we're having fun!

Thanks Jujy, I downloaded it but haven't tried it out yet.

Saturday, August 27, 2005 8:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home