Saturday, August 27, 2005

Day Six of the Trip

We made it through Kansas.
It was rough, but we got through it.
Remember my prediction about Kansas? Well, I was pretty much right on. What I forgot to mention about Kansas was how incredibly humid it was there. I don't believe I have ever experienced that kind of humidity before. You should have seen my hair. I have naturally curly hair, so you mix that, with Kansas humidity, it's not so pretty.

We left Kansas and entered into Colorado. Unfortunately that part of Colorado looks pretty much like Kansas, just with a different name. We had lunch at this little town and I ate more fried food. I don't know if my system will ever recover from all of the crappy food I've been eating on this journey across America.

So we came into the Denver area and it was quite spectacular. I once heard that the first settlers came through Colorado over the Continental Divide expecting to see the Pacific Ocean, but what they were met with was the Rocky Mountains. That would pretty much be a let down if you were expecting to have made it to the beach only to realize that you had a shitload of mountains to climb. Maybe they sang that song, "Climb Every Mountain." Perhaps not, perhaps that was Julie Andrews...

We zipped around Denver and onto Boulder where our cousin Lara lives. Boulder is quite lovely and we had a wonderful expererience looking at the mountains and later going into town watching street art and what not. We went to a little club called Trilogy where we had some drinks and danced. The elevation in Boulder is over 5,000 feet which is significantly higher than what my brother and I are used to. It makes you a little light headed and for me it feels like my sinuses are clogged. It also makes one very thirsty and potentially drunk very fast. So Lara insisted that we drink a LOT of water and I had to go pee every ten minutes, but we danced to great 80's music (which my brother LOVED...) and listened to a band in the back, which was really good.

Met a guy named Noah who teaches Physics at Colorado University. He was very nice and fun to talk to. His friends that he was with were drunk, and a bit obnoxious, but he was very nice. We also met about four thousand of Lara's friends. Boulder is a small town and she has lived there going to school, so she knows a lot of people. It was a cool time.

So here we are, ready to have some breakfast here at the Quality Inn in Boulder, and head out to the open road. Next stop: Utah. Utah frightens me a bit but I'll be ready. I think I'll wear my Indigo Girls t-shirt just to be a rebel!

Hopefully I'll be able to check in later; until then my friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

Keep your arms and head inside the car as you go through Utah. Actually, isn't Zion Park in Utah? The land is beautiful there. But oye. Be careful! I love how you're meeting and talking to new people.

Saturday, August 27, 2005 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

You should wear your Recovering Straight Girl shirt in Utah...They would hate that!!!

Too bad Yve is in hawaii right now or you could have visited her in Ft. Collins CO on the way thorugh.

Shelly

Saturday, August 27, 2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger The Merry Widow said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Boulder. It used to be my home for quite some time.

Monday, August 29, 2005 2:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home