Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Get Out The Map

My baby brother, who is 22, is moving to Portland.
He just graduated from college and can't find a job... (thanks W.)
So he's moving here to live with my mother, (could be a nightmare, but we'll see...) and try to locate gainful employment or do what every other 22 year old who can't find a job does;
go to grad school.

So, it just so happens that XH is taking the kiddos to California for ten days to visit his parents and sister and what not. The dates that he is taking the kids happen to coincide with the time that my lil bro is planning on making the trip; which equals a perfect opportunity for me to fly out and drive back with him.

No one should make that fucking trip by themselves. Do you have any idea how BORING route 80 is across the US of A?
We have to drive through Nebraska.
And Utah.
Can I even get a beer in Utah?
Smokes?
I don't think so.
I'm pretty sure beer and smokes are illegal in Utah.

I digress.

So I'm going to Get Out The Map!

It will be great. 3,000 miles of time for me to drive, think, reflect about my seemingly fucked up life and perhaps by the time I reach eastern Oregon, I'll have it all figured out.
One can only hope.

I took the liberty of copying the route that we will be taking from Mapquest and letting you all take a look-see.
Here it is:
Trip Map
So.
Do you see you on there?
Along the route?
If I'm driving through your town and you would like to buy me dinner or something; just let me know, and we'll pull over!

Also, I'll be taking the red eye and stopping through Atlanta on Monday, August 22nd. I get in at like 5:30 AM. So if anyone from Atlanta is interested in driving out to the airport Monday morning to bring me coffee, that would be GREAT! (Okay, I know I'm pushing it now...)

Do you see how LONG that trip is?
That's long.
Way long.
By the time I get to Utah, I'm gonna need a beer.
It's too bad they're illegal there.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have bars in Utah...don't worry. You can get yourself an ice cold brew if you need it!

Stop in Indiana for the smokes, though ;-)

When are you going through Indiana? I don't have a car right now, but maybe I could get Lora and Cary to roadtrip with me....

And you have my sympathy...you happen to be driving through the most fucking boring part of Indiana. They purposely put I-80 right there. Sorry :-\

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Hey!

You are driving right through my part of Indiana (it's not THAT bad Little Sister :) Me and my partner live in South Bend, IN. If you're serious about stopping for dinner or something, than email me. We've got a few sights to see around here (Notre Dame, College Football Hall of Fame, SB Chocolate Company, etc.) a couple great restaurants too.

That is a looong trip! Sounds fun though.

Take care,
Sublime

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

Man, what a nasty long drive! Sorry I don't live north, and I'm sure you don't want to drive all the way down to TX. LOL Seriously, it's really nice that you're going to fly out to drive back with him.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Little Sister: A road trip to meet someone on a road trip...sounds good!

D: I do have a laptop with wireless, so as long as I can war onto someones WIFI, I'll be okay. A lot of hotels now have it so when we stop somewhere, I SHOULD be able to blog; I don't know how I would survive without.

Sublime: Notre Dame? I can't visit Notre Dame. I went to Penn State. But I will take you up on the restaurants; that would rock!

Sassy: Texas is just a wee bit out of our way. That would be cool though, I could visit you and Valerie and Merry Widow and all of the other people who live in that hot state...

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:03:00 PM  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

Damn! We are at the beginning of your trip (just outside of Philly), but we don't get back from Arizona until the 25th. Curses!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Ok, he's 22 and moving to Oregon... is he single? has he learned about older women? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:24:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

you are wise to avoid the golden state, grasshopper! have a great road trip.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Unfortunately I am no where near the route you are taking. Happy driving and wear your seat belt. :)

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:19:00 AM  
Blogger Torrie said...

a)Nice Indigo Girls reference.
b)It looks like you are going to be awfully close to NY. Come visit!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Charolotte: I'm actually going to fly into Pittsburgh because it was $200.00 cheaper than flying to Harrisburg or Wilkes-Barre or Philly. My Dad lives in Pitt so he will hopefully pick me up...

Blu: I'm going to pretend that you didn't EVEN say that...

Cass: Texas is just a bit out of the way.

Stellina: I don't think I want to add any more to the trip; but thanks for the PB and J offer.

Annie: I'll be in the Golden State the following weekend for Blog This 2005!

Adrienne: sounds like you're ready for your trip though...

Jujy: I'm going through Omaha? Oh yeah, that's in Nebraska. I don't eat beef but I'll take you up on a visit!

Curly: I don't think I'll be listening to much country music; I'll be with my 22 year old brother, remember? I'll be listening to a lot of Eminem and 50 cent.

SFG: Of course I'll wear my seatbelt. I'll be fine, most accidents occur within five miles of your home...

Torrie: Good pick-up girl! (On the Indigo Girls reference...)
I would love to visit you in NY, but there's that adding to my trip thing again. Next time!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I really do miss Portland. I used to live down there off of NE Glisan and Hazelfern Pl. in Laurelhurst.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:24:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Hey! It looks like you're going to be in my neck of the woods towards the end of your trip. Let's party!

heh. heh. Couldn't resist.

Viva la Portland!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:40:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Off-topic, here, but I keep thinking this and wanted to just say it here: every time I see your last comment at sarah's or swlf's site, I am so touched by your kindness and your lovely spirit. Just wanted to say so.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

3,000 miles? OMG!!!

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:41:00 AM  
Blogger ToadyJoe said...

Idaho. Your route crosses within 4 miles of my house. If you don't stop to say hi I will DIE. Your route also crosses right through where I work, and I'm guaranteed to be one place or the 'tother.

Hook a sister UP. I'd love to see you - even if it's just for a potty break while the Kid Brother fuels up the vehicle. I'm not above groveling. Email me. :)

Friday, August 05, 2005 9:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home