Thursday, December 01, 2005

rudolph

I was so excited that Rudolph was going to be on last night. I remember watching that movie every year when I was a little girl, and I don't believe that the girls and I have ever watched it before. I even set my TiVo so we could watch it again if we wanted.

It was as I remembered it. Of course the girls were confused if they were puppets or was it CG? I told them they didn't have CG back then, and I wasn't sure how they made it; "just watch the damn movie..."

As I watched, I became curious about a few things.

First, the little elf who wants to become a dentist: How does he know what a dentist is if there are no elf dentists in Christmastown?
Where was he planning on going to dental school?
Is he going to practice medicine without a license? I believe the AMA would be on his ass for that!
If none of the elves have ever had any detal care; that may be quite an undertaking, and what about dental insurance? How will he get paid? I can't imagine an elf makes much, but perhaps they're unionized and Santa offers kick ass bennies.

The Gold Miner Dude: why does he LICK his pick ax? That's just gross and I don't think it's very responsible behavoir to advocate; children are watching this. Maybe he should just make some solid long term investments in a high yield account and call it good. (Or invest in the elf's new Dental Plan...)

And the SEXISM in that show. My God!

Mrs. Donner wants to go out looking for Rudolph with Mr. Donner and Clarise. Mr. Donner says, "No, you and Clarise stay here, this is MANS work!"
Well, Mrs. Donner and Clarise don't listen (thank goodness for that,) and they all end up getting caught in the Abominable Snowman's cave. After they are saved by the goldminer dude and the wannabe dentist, the narrator says, "It was time to get the WOMEN home."
To top it off, Santa keeps calling Mrs. Clause "Mama."

Did anyone else see this and wonder, "what did they just say?"
To be honest, I was a little embaressed. Even DD#1 looked at me and said, "what does THAT mean?"

I suppose it's a good thing that we have evolved a bit as a society that comments like that, once not given a second thought, alarmed me a bit. Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to it, but I was thinking that maybe Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer needs a bit of an update.

A little PC mixed with some high tech CG.

12 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

The last time I watched it I couldn't get past the complete gay undertones... Hermie, the little elf, must flee because he obviously doesn't fit in. The other elves certainly don't understand him and his desire to be something different than all of the other elves. The Island of Misfits has to be a synonym for Fire Island, and the coach of the reindeers is obviously a bigoted macho ass. It's very dark, in many ways, isn't it?

I know several gay men who completely relate to and love Hermie for what he represents: the effiminate man with a dream and despite persecution overcomes others' hate and becomes a hero. Love that show. (at one time a name option for Wink was Abominable)

Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Awww damn.
McKenna watched it while I was blogging last night.
She loved it! I don't rememeber anything about it except Rudolph's nose.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Lelo: I also thought Hermie was gay, I think he had a thing for that supervisor elf?

Pissy: Pay attention girl, the subliminal and not so subliminal suggestion in that show is incredible. It's shaping young minds (like Lil Miss Pissy)

Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

HA! I haven't watched that show for years but now I wish I had!

very observant Woo.

Shelly

Thursday, December 01, 2005 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

On a somewhat related note, I recently watched the old, original Willie Wonka with my nephew. There is some freaky shit in that movie.

It's a wonder we aren't all totally fucked up after watching some of this crap over and over, LOL.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

What the crap is CG?

I love those old shows. But yeah, the older stuff has some creepy undertones.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Adrienne: That sounds about right. (Wondering how she knows that...)

Woo: I have it on TiVo if you want to come over and watch it!

Syd: Yeah, I noticed that too. I think we are actually totally fucked up.

Kami: Computer Generated

Cass: Where you been girl? You can come over and watch it with Woo.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

OH, THANK ALLAH! I've been wanting a wooden dog house.

Fucker.

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:37:00 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

Oh my. Did I say that out loud. The language that comes out of this good Southern girl...

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:37:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I JUST took my comment verification off!
Damn, I thought I could sneak by!

Friday, December 02, 2005 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

We have it on VHS and DVD and I can't stand the damn thing. I think I blocked out the memory of watching it as a child- and when it came on lastnight I cringed as Nicole watched.

When I was a kid I wanted a "Mr.Dentist" for christmas... no wonder I'm a public health major, eh?

Friday, December 02, 2005 6:09:00 PM  
Blogger Grampy said...

Here's your answer to why Yukon Cornelious was always licking his pick. There was a deleted scene in the cartoon that explained it. Here's a link to a post in my blog. Click on Yukon's picture to go to a website that has the behind-the-scenes info on the whole sordid thing :)

http://boogers4brains.blogspot.com/2005/12/yukon-kiss-my-axe.html

Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home