Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Celebrating a year of blogging...

February 12, 2005 was my first blog post. It's amazing to me to look back at those earlier posts and read about what was going on in my life and how difficult it all was. Back then, no one read my blog, and I didn't care that they didn't. I was just trying something to help myself break through the pain and desparity that was my life.

Through this year, I have grown and changed, and my blogging has grown and changed as well. Sometimes I forget who I'm writing for and try to be witty and funny like LeLo, or eloquent like Kristine, or entertaining like Kami and Pissy, or incredibly creative and fabulous like Jessica, (not to mention how fucking sexy she is...) Sometimes I forget who I'm writing for, but I always try to come back to me.

Everyone has their own style, and I don't really know what my style is, except to say that it's just the honest and sometimes raw feelings and thoughts of RSG. I may not always be politically correct; (yes, I like Eminem and Howard Stern, get over it people.) And truly, a lot of people extremely disagree with the choices that I've made by changing my life; but I am living my life, honestly and truthfully for the first time ever.

A lot has happened during this past year and I won't reflect too closely on it except to say that it's come full circle and I am happy that those hard times are now behind me. I always knew that they would be someday, but when you're in it, it's so hard to see...so hard.

I always knew someday I would be standing here, looking back and remembering. Because of blogging, I have a permament record of that misery; I can remember it well.
The pain, the illness, the debilitating depression, the uncertainty, the fear.
The joy, the love, the loss, the excitement of new things.

I lost both of my dogs and two of my grandparents this past year.
I was very sick at times, I started a job for the first time in eight years, made new friends, went on four trips, arrived, became. I flew to fucking California to spend the weekend with STRANGERS! It turned out to be one of the very best weekends of my entire life; one that gave me some of the best friends that I'll ever know.

And here I am.
A year later, surrounded by all of you, every day who stop by here to see what's going on in my corner of the world. YOU all are the greatest friends, I know that may sound weird to anyone who doesn't get it; but you are. You have shared your lives with me, your love, your loss, your pregnancies, your deaths, your joy, your depression, your frustrations, your sex tips... We share so much of ourselves here in blogging land and it really rocks.

So what does the next year bring for me?

Well as far as blogging goes, I would like to do some focusing on Recovering Straight Girl issues for the other Recovering Straight Girls out there (there are a FEW of us you know...) I'm going to pick a day to be RSG tip day and address something that I have discovered, learned, decided, realized about being an RSG and coming out at a later time in life.

I would also like to do a little segment (another blog attached to this one,) on Portland area strip clubs. We have more strip clubs per capita than any other US city (and more lesbians per capita as well...) I think it should be my duty in this next year to try to check out every one of them, do a little review, let people know which ones are the ones to frequent if you were so inclined. I happen to adore strip clubs as of late, and find them highly entertaining. I'm going to be very busy...

Personally, I plan on continuing to raise my girls the best way that I can (now minus a lot of heartache and drama that has been a part of their lives this past year,) be a loving daughter and sister, and work on my career ideas which include several possibilities and opportunities. I plan on having a LOT of fun (hence, the strip club project,) and finally; I plan on loving my new girlfriend the best way that I can, every single day.

I hope you will all join me on the journey; I'd love to have you along.
Here's to another year of blogging!

PS: I had to recover this post TWICE. I do not heart Blogger right now, and Typepad is looking really fucking good.

29 Comments:

Blogger TheStolenOlive said...

First Bitches!

Happy Blogiversary! It seems like February was a big month for a lot of us last year to start our online therapy sessions.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

Mel, I've been to a shitload of 'em in my earlier years-Ho-Hum. Never my idea just went along with others, usually married men, that just had to go and pay 10 bucks to get in and 7 dollars a draft. I think there is something wrong with me because I never understood mens desire to go to these places. Generally the girls are not "dateable" so it is not fertile ground for anything except losing money.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

FFTS: loving the first comment! I guess February brings out a lot of changes...

Mel: Well, I already knew that about you girl; time to come to Portland for a little partying with me at strip clubs!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Hippo: It's not about being able to "date" them, it's about enjoying their talents as dancers!

mel would LOVE it!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

If I date 'em I get the one on one shows, at least until I find out all their dysfunctions (kleptomaniac, etc) and abandon them on a city street.

To each their own...RIGHT ON. If your in Boston, try the Mob owned Golden Banana on the North Shore.

Dr. H.O.Potamus-travel guide

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Ryann said...

Congrats!!

looking forward to the strip club reviews... it will help in getting me to work there :P

here's to another year blog buddy!
cheers.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger ToadyJoe said...

I, for one, cannot WAIT for your blogadditions of 2006. WOOOT. I shall be referring a friend or two via LinkyLove. Thanks!!!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Happy blogbirthday! I love your blog. I think you are funny, and insightful, and introspective, and spectacular.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

Happy Anniversary RSG!!! May the next year bring you all that you wish for xx

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Cristin: You read right.

Ryann: Oh, I would adore to see you, I'll pick out a good place for you!!!

ToadyJoe: That way, you'll know where to go when you come to Portland!

Zoe: Thank you, thank you.

DF: I think it will!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Happy Blog-a-versary!!

I think it will be very entertaining to read your reviews...who knows, when I come up to visit "Shangie" perhaps we can ALL go to one or two or however many you deem "the best of the best" :-)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Pictures. The strip club reviews should include those. So we can all get the full experience.

Happy Blogoversary!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I, for one, can't wait to see what your next year brings. I hope it is full of whatever is in your dreams (the good ones).

Happy Blogoversary!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

You're such a damn hooker. I love you to death.

I will be in Bend in August..and I was SPOSTA be in Lincoln City though.

*sigh* someday when things slow down, I'm coming up.
the BAMF needs to visit his baby cousin!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Yeah, that first paragraph is all jacked up. Shut up and just let it go.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

It has been such a fucking amazing experience getting to know you and meeting you and blah blah.
Happy Blogversary you HAB.
I am glad things are looking sunny side up for you..no one deserves it more. You are a wonderful mother, friend and a cutie patootie. I feel like I have known you a lot longer than a year.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

happy one year!
There is something special and fantastic about you even though I've never met you in person!
You SHOULD go to all the strip clubs. Just remember to bring lots of $$ to keep the strippers happy! :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger Medic Girl said...

Happy One Year!
I was a Medic for Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue in Aloha about 7 years ago. I really have to say that your posts on the clubs will be interesting. I agree that there semms to be a ton of them. I enjoy your posts so much and I can't wait to read what you write next. I just had to delurk to say that.*back to lurking*

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

happy bloggiversary, happy bloggiversary, happy bloggiversary!
happy, bloggiversary.
phew.
hope that wasn't too off tune.

thanks for the kind words rsg. I'm quite intrigued in the strip bar reviews. I'd be happy to donate my poem about mary's to you if you'd like. And don't even get me going about amateur night at The Dancin' Bare.....oy!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, Congratulations!! I milestone observed! I haven't been by for a while and I'm glad I happened by tonight so I can wish you a wonderful 2nd year of Blogging, too! Again, I say, Congrats, to you, my dear.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:07:00 AM  
Blogger Sapphire said...

Okay I'm a little late saying this, but it shouldn't be 'Here's to another year of blogging' but 'Here's to YOU, dear RSG'

xx

Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:12:00 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

Happy Anniversary. I can't wait to see the strip club reviews.

You better just back up off of Eminem. I'll let you have Gwen, but I may have to kick your ass for Marshall. Mmmmkay?

XOXO

Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:16:00 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Happy BlogBirthday RSG I have so enjoyed your posts and getting to know you in the past few months. I have went back in the archives and read so I know you had some tough times but you came through girlfriend - not always an easy feat.
Also we want to know about the new GF, yeah i'm nosey like that! Congtats on the new love & the strip clubs sound like fun. I told the hubs a few weeks ago I want to go to one w/ him

Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:18:00 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Sometimes it's even more fun to go to the really bad strip bars. Just a thought.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Happy Blogiversary RSG. I heart you very much.

xoxo
the other Zoe

Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger The Devil said...

Hello...I stumbled accross your blog...And I gotta say I love it. I read all your stuff..(well not every single thing), and it's so interesting...

Hope you don't mind if I keep checkin' it out!

Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger The Devil said...

Oh and Congrats!!!

Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Ex-playgroup mommy said...

Happy Blogiversary. You've come a long way baby!

Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Unbalanced said...

I have been a long time lurker and have enjoyed your blog very much.

PS I'm also a recovering straight girl... looking forward to the tips, lol!

Have a great week.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home